29 budget build

Once your tank gets cycled, give me a shout. I have some easy corals that I could donate and would be a good starting point. Rasta, eagle eye and dragon zoas. Green pocillopora, montipora spongodes and purple duncans. Probably other things that will need to be thinned out by then.

I live in Attleboro, but travel to Coventry fairly often. We could meet around there.

2.0 is sufficient
When it drops down to zero bring it back up to 2.0 and repeat this until the bacteria can consume the ammonia over night. You will be ready at that point

2.5 weeks In nitrate levels r going up ammonia level decreasing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 168
Nice fish. What happened to the idea of letting the tank cycle before adding anything?

Maybe. Those fish tend to be able to handle ammonia. Try adding some ammo-lock or Prime water conditioner every few days until ammonia and nitrite both hit zero. Nitrate rise is fine and expected.

I see the problem. What was meant was that once the ammonia and nitrite zero out, it would be a good time to add the fish. I'll take the blame for the misguiding. Fortunately, clowns and damsels have been used for many to help the cycle. As stated, they tend to be able to handle ammonia, so try not to lose sleep over it.

Okay, all you are saying is expected. The live rock will help speed up the cycle. Should take about a month for ammonia and nitrite to zero out. I suggest doing no water changes or additives until it does. At that point you'll see nitrate building. This is a good time to a one or two small fish. Keep addition of livestock to a minimum and watch for spikes in ammonia and nitrite. for a few months.

You're at the hardest part of keeping a tank. Waiting for it to be ready...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back