Just got 2 new fish..

Syris

FishboyBill
....at AquaAddicts yesterday. Great timing too, they just got a ton of new fish including some rarer ones like a Golden angelfish. What I got was 2 Carpenter Flasher Wrasse, very beautiful. Couldn't get a pic they are still shy but found this pic on web shown below.
I have them in my 45g softy/LPS tank with the only other fish being 2 Bangai cardianls and a purple firefish. So they should fit right in without being bothered but they still haven't come out of hiding much yet.
My question is how do you tell the females from the males? If I have 2 males will they get along or does sexes change like that found in clownfish? I haven't been able to find that info on the web yet.
I believe I do have at least one male as the slightly larger one comes out a bit and "flashes" everyone:D but I am not sure of the second one.
Any wrasse savy people have some insight?

Attachments

• FlasherWrasse.jpg
    FlasherWrasse.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 329
Bill,
The colors on the males are usually more vibrant. The "flashing" of the fins are usually more impressive in the males. If they are both the same type, the male will usually chase the female while showing off its colors and flaring. The female will be more a dull color. Not easy to tell when they are young tho.

Sweet! Please post a picture when they come back out! I was very close to nabbing one of those Carpenter Wrasses, talked it over, and decided that our tank was not set up to handle jumpers yet.

Glad to hear they went to a good home. Is your tank covered to thwart potential carpet surfers?

wrassefan,
Thx for the info.

shearwater,
I have a full hood on the tank and its only open about 4-5" in the back which I plan on covering with a non-metal screening.

Well, so far one of them is out and about a decent amount (when my 3yr old is not scaring em) but I have not seen or been able to find the 2nd one yet since adding. Hoping for the best.

Bill, make sure you cover that hole in the back of your hood asap. Both of my flashers found the hardwood.

Bill, my flasher took about a week to appear after I put him in the tank. It took another 2 weeks to hang out regularly. Didn't help that the 6 line would chase it in the beginning. Now they are at least pleasant to each other. Give it some time. Oh, and I agree with keeping things covered. Mine has hit the T5s twice being airborne and has made a bell like ringing sound. One time I had a plastic containter on the center brace and it actually jumped right into it.

Ok too many jumping stories for me, I gonna trim some eggcrate to fit the opening tomorrow instead of waiting to get some screening. Thx
BTW I saw the other flasher wrasse tonight, so at least he is still in there;)

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back