Kalkwasser time

I normally wait a day for it to settle out but that is in a container. Seeing if in a reactor is different.

I dosing 5 liters a day and I use 3 cups off Kalkwasser in reactor and mixed 15 min every day at 10am and start dosing at 11pm to 8am next day

So I’ve been doing some math to get the same amount of alk in as I’m dosing now with ati essentials pro.
Ati is 1dkh per 7 ml in a 100l tank
I have a 29 biocube that is roughly at 18-20 gallons of actual water. I use 3ml of ati currently to maintain 8 dkh.
I used a calculator and came up with dosing 590 ml of kalk would be equivalent ( or a starting point) per day.
Does this sound right?
Thx

I dosed 1100 ml 4x a day every six hours for about 175 actual water volume. I would mix it and let it dose so never waited more than six hours after mixing it. I understand you may want to be more cautious on a smaller system but if you are dosing slowly shouldn’t really be an issue imo.

Thanks D
After 4 hours the solution was still really cloudy. Maybe it’s cause it’s the first time it’s being mixed. It’s definitely clearer now. Have to go to work but when I get home I’ll definitely start the dosing so I can see if anything is going south

I’ve always just mixed it in the ato water (one tsp. per gallon) and made sure ato pump is a bit elevated so it doesn’t pump sludge up and has always worked fine for me

I can’t max it out and don’t trust my evaporation to be consistent, wifes Brazilian and turns off ac every chance she gets lol

I’ve always just mixed it in the ato water (one tsp. per gallon) and made sure ato pump is a bit elevated so it doesn’t pump sludge up and has always worked fine for me

The issue with that is the daily amount is inconsistent and will vary with amount top offed each day. In some systems that can be a huge swing depending on setup and time of year.

Minus the eye sore factor, I fill a jug and run a slow drip throughout the day on one of my tanks, which is in my basement.

Sorry to hijack your post! Is kalwasser used to maintain alk, calcium or it will raise those levels? I'm running a calcium reactor which is dialed to my tank, but I'm having ph issues. I'm looking to use kalwasser to raise my ph but I'm not sure if my calcium and alk will go up as well.

I dosing 5 liters a day and I use 3 cups off Kalkwasser in reactor and mixed 15 min every day at 10am and start dosing at 11pm to 8am next day
Tim are you using a calcium reactor along with kalwasser?

Tim are you using a calcium reactor along with kalwasser?
I believe the above members that have posted in this thread are all using Kalkwasser reactors. Not trying to be a Debbie downer @YamilM , but you should start a new thread and ask some questions there to have people respond. It'll keep this one on topic. Have a good day:)

The issue with that is the daily amount is inconsistent and will vary with amount top offed each day. In some systems that can be a huge swing depending on setup and time of year.

Yes, that's right. It will vary. For me winter top-off is about 30% higher than summer so you have to adjust. My system is large enough and I get about 80% of my calc/alk from non-kalkwasser dosing so variability is not a big deal. You can get surprised. When I added a frag tank to the system, even though it wasn't much volume, it added quite a bit of very high-flow surface area and I got an unwelcome ph spike from additional evap and kalkwasser.

Attachments

• 036356E6-EB25-4EC9-81AB-E172A3B6880F.jpeg
    036356E6-EB25-4EC9-81AB-E172A3B6880F.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 189
Sorry to hijack your post! Is kalwasser used to maintain alk, calcium or it will raise those levels? I'm running a calcium reactor which is dialed to my tank, but I'm having ph issues. I'm looking to use kalwasser to raise my ph but I'm not sure if my calcium and alk will go up as well.
It’s normally used to maintain but as your reef grows so will your demand. You’ll have to increase your dose but kalkwasser has a limitation of 2 tsps per gallon of freshwater and you can’t go over the amount of your tank evaporation.

It’s normally used to maintain but as your reef grows so will your demand. You’ll have to increase your dose but kalkwasser has a limitation of 2 tsps per gallon of freshwater and you can’t go over the amount of your tank evaporation.
Chris A. Thanks for responding. I'm using a calcium reactor to maintain my big 3 elements my problem is my ph is dropping to 7.7. Had tried opening the window, refugium, more surface agitation but my ph stays low. I know that a co2 scrubber will do the trick but its expensive. My next option is kalwasser, but I have no experience with it.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back