Kalkwasser

I've always run kalkwasser in conjuction with either two part or calcium reactor to keep levels stable. The kalkwasser is dosed using a litermeter and helps keeps the pH up. I've never used a reactor though, just a brute barrel and lid to keep tight.

I was using it up until Monday when I figured out a way to get outside air into my skimmer using an existing wire chase that had been placed from my basement to my attic. Here are the 5 day results. I was bare breaking 7.8 without Kalk and with a light Kalk dose and a lime ash reactor, I started to move into the 8’s. Monday I cleaned out my ATO, ditched the co2 scrubber, and ran the intake from the attic down. The results are outstanding.

5B454B3F-6AB1-4CCB-B282-1E0541BA2336.png

Who here runs kalk, struggling with low pH and ordered an avast k1 stirrer today. What's the deal with running it.
Kalk raises pH and Alk/Calc). If your tank has some Alk/Calc consumption the Kalkwasser can help. Some people use Kalk along with calcium reactors to increase pH. I used to have Kalk slowly dosing at night with a dosing pump. I’ve since ran an outside line to my skimmer and stopping chasing pH. I prefer 2-part to Kalk, but Kalk works and it’s inexpensive.

Last edited:
I have a geo carx reactor in my garage just haven't had the money or corals to really implement it quite yet but will probably in the spring. Even with a window open full tilt right behind my skimmer, I'm barely breaking 8.0

I am similar to Tim although I just dose it hourly all the time. ~2 gallons a day which is lower than my evaporation, a separate ATO tops things off everyday in a 15min window.

I use this + RODI to make it in a 35 gallon tub and via doser pull the mix from ~2inches off the bottom of the tub. 6.7 tablespoons per 10 gallons is slightly more than fully saturated.

Last edited:
Kalk raises pH and Alk. If your tank has some Alk consumption the Kalkwasser can help. Some people use Kalk along with calcium reactors to increase pH. I used to have Kalk slowly dosing at night with a dosing pump. I’ve since ran an outside line to my skimmer and stopping chasing pH. I prefer 2-part to Kalk, but Kalk works and it’s inexpensive.

I wouldn't say raises alkalinity (although it can), but doses alkalinity and calcium at balanced levels. Using it as a tool to raise alkalinity or calcium is dangerous as it will cause a spike in pH and chances of precipitants get higher.

Last edited:
I was using it up until Monday when I figured out a way to get outside air into my skimmer using an existing wire chase that had been placed from my basement to my attic. Here are the 5 day results. I was bare breaking 7.8 without Kalk and with a light Kalk dose and a lime ash reactor, I started to move into the 8’s. Monday I cleaned out my ATO, ditched the co2 scrubber, and ran the intake from the attic down. The results are outstanding.

View attachment 150762
I've thought about running an outside line to my skimmer but was always wary about outdoor contaminants. I would probably run a carbon filter if I ever decided to go that route. It's just me and the cat and my house is full of plants, so that helps with CO2 levels.

I wouldn't say raises alkalinity (although it can), but doses alkalinity and calcium at balanced levels. Using it as a tool to raise alkalinity or calcium is dangerous as it will cause a spike in pH and chances of precipitants get higher.
Good catch. Yes, this is a better statement. Kalk doses both Alk and Calc at balanced levels. I like Kalk because of this reason even though I don’t use it. Kalk also doesn’t raise salinity like 2-part. I mainly test for Alk and think only in terms of Alk since I dose balanced levels of 2-part. For the pH risk, I had an If pH > 8.5 Then Off statement on my kalk doser outlet just in case.

Last edited:
I'll definitely have a cutoff programmed into my profilux as a safety until I can get my CaRx online.

I've thought about running an outside line to my skimmer but was always wary about outdoor contaminants. I would probably run a carbon filter if I ever decided to go that route. It's just me and the cat and my house is full of plants, so that helps with CO2 levels.

I was concerned about contamination as well which is why I ran it to the attic, nearly 3 stories up. Still get good air transfer up there but the fumes from my mower etc should be dissipated by the time it reaches that high up. I also bought a large Skimz air silencer on clearance, not as much for noise but to try to keep bugs out of it.

I ran it in my ato on my last tank but it does increase the risk of top off disaster. I had a tunze nano overdose twice and thankfully it was okay because I didn’t have any super sensitive corals.

I have a Profilux controller that will shut off the pump to kalk reactor if PH reaches a certain limit.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back