Kick Ich kills pods? (maybe?)

NateHanson

Non-member
I'm using Kick Ich to treat my tank because my Hippo came down with a case of white spot last week. (I think probably as a result of some trouble I was having keeping tank temperature down at the beginning of the hot days).

I was trying to get the hippo out to do hyposalinity because he wasn't getting better in the tank, but he's a slick bastard, so I'm treating the tank with K.I.
I started yesterday (thanks Keith for bringing it by here!) and the hippo has fewer small lesions, but most of the large lesions are still there. I'll keep people posted on how this treatment goes.

So far the only side effect I've noticed is that today there are a lot of dead pods floating in the water. There are still a lot of pods alive in the fuge and on the glass in the corners of the tank, but I've never noticed dead ones blowing around in the display before. Has anyone ever seen that before? I guess maybe it would make sense that some of these little guys are susceptible to whatever is in the K.I. product to kill the Ich parasites.

Nate

Yep, I put a 6" fan on my fuge, and I've got the AC running on hot days to keep the house no warmer than 75. That has allowed my temp to cycle from 79 at night to a high of 82 in the afternoon. I've also got 2 small fans in my light fixture, and my canopy is suspended about 2 inches over the rim of the tank to allow better airflow.

Nate

Wow! This morning the hippo is looking worlds better! It's day three of the 14 day treatment. For the past four days he had about a dozen large, almost open-looking lesions around his head and lower body and countless medium and small white spots elsewhere.

This morning the open lesions around the face have completely disappeared, and about a dozen-per-side small-sized spots are present, but they are smooth and closed. He remains totally active, and is out waiting for breakfast now. I'm so far very pleased with the Kick Ich. I'll keep reporting.

(The other three fish still remain completely unaffected, and are completely healthy)

Nate

Last edited:
Are you sure they are dead pods floating & not just shells from molting? I wasn't really aware thata they molt as they grow

That's entirely possible. I'm sure I can't tell a pod molt from a pod corpse. However, I've never seen so many in the water column, and there were a lot. If I watched one small area, I could see one float through my line of sight every 5 seconds or so. It's not that way anymore, so maybe it was unrelated, but I'll look for it next time I dose the tank - tomorrow.

hey nate,

you probably are already doing this, but just make sure you keep treating them because they might not be fully cured even though they do not show external signs or symptoms of the disease. :)

I think that's where I goofed, when I took the sick leather out of my tank, I stopped treatment for two days to run the skimmer and carbon and did a water change. When I started over, it was long enough for the ich to regroup and that's when I lost the tang.:(

I stopped the skimmer for 2 days after adding the first treatment. Then I skimmed for 24 hours, and I'll stop it when I add my next treatment tomorrow. I took carbon out completely.

Nate

Nate,,,just chiming in here...do the full treatment, no matter what. It's like an antibiotic for humans....allways go the full course. Glad to hear about the improvement.

Still looking better everyday! The hippos almost back to normal after the second treatment (but I'll definitely continue the full course).

Thanks again for your help Keith.

Nate

Hippo's having a bit of a relapse today, with more large spots on his fins, and a couple on one side of his chin, and a couple in his eyes (I hope those aren't going to be a problem).

He's overall looking to be improving, but a couple of the lesions must just be running their course. I put in the third dose yesterday. Keep your fingers crossed.

Nate

Nate, how is your tang doing? I hope he's still improving. Mine had a relapse too but didn't make it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Be careful not to get the urge to turn on the skimmer or add carbon during the treatment, it may dilute the kick-ich you have in your tank and will minimize the effectiveness.

Treatments done, and everyone looks great (except for a slime of algae on everything from not running the skimmer or carbon for 2 weeks!)

On Friday the tang was all cleared up, except for his eyes which were spotted, and hazy. He was missing smaller food particles that day, so he seemed to be having trouble with depth perception.

By Monday morning (I was gone for the weekend) the tang was back to normal. His eyes are all cleared up. His body is well-colored and healthy looking, and his vision seems normal.

Thumbs up for the Kick Ich.
Nate

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back