Leak test and advice

afsportsguy000

Non-member
I am about to run a leak test and make sure all pumps ect work.....Do I have to use RODI water or will regular water be ok to speed things up. Do I test the skimmer and all or will it be pointless with fresh water

I'd use RODI, then if all is well you can add salt. Don't use RODI and you're probably going to waste that much water.

The skimmer will do nothing in freshwater, but freshwater won't hurt it.

Personally, I don't do leak tests when setting a tank up, I just hook everything up correctly in the first place :D

If I recall I did a leak test with fresh water. I wanted to test everything, including my fill and water change procedures that I was shooting for. I didn't 'leak test' the skimmer. As John mentioned the skimmer won't do anything with freshwater, but it won't be hurt either. By 'anything' we mean it won't skim properly... it will fill and aerate/bubble, so if you just want to see it in action go for it.

When I was sure I had no leaks I tested out my water change/drain procedure to empty everything out. This meant hooking up my garden hose, closing some valves, opening another, and letting it drain. I also took this time to see what pulling the stand-pipes in the overflows would do.

Personally, I don't do leak tests when setting a tank up, I just hook everything up correctly in the first place :D

We're not all as cool, or skilled, as you. ;)

Yea I usually fill it with RODI, then slowly mix high gravity saltwater in till i get it to the right point. The other thing is, if u use tap water, you will have junk from there (phosphates, chloromine, chlorine, etc.) in the sand and stuff.

We're not all as cool, or skilled, as you. ;)

Or as stupid....

Skeeter, "high gravity"? Like super salty? If so, did you see any precipitation issues? I would be worried about that, but I could be wrong?

Yea I usually fill it with RODI, then slowly mix high gravity saltwater in till i get it to the right point. The other thing is, if u use tap water, you will have junk from there (phosphates, chloromine, chlorine, etc.) in the sand and stuff.

In my case I wasn't worried about that too much... we have well water and a whole house filter in place already; TDS was around like 70 before hooking up the RODI. The other thing I didn't have to worry about was paying for the extra water/sewer usage.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back