LED to T5 Need Feedback

Nixperience

Non-member
I currently use a hydra 26 and a Prime over my 30L and have been thinking about changing to a 4 bulb ati t5 unit or trying to add a bulb or 2 somehow to my hydra, but I can’t seem to find the right fixtures to make a hybrid unit. The aquatic life hybrid unit is too big for my tank.

I’m looking for all your thoughts and feedback.

Ati, pacsun and matrix all carry various size hybrid fixture
Yes I know. The hybrids are pricey as hell. Is it worth adding a single tube to even out shadowing and spread on my LEDs or going straight for a 4x39w ati unit and not doing LEDs?

I think it's worth going through the trouble of rigging a T5 into your setup, my tank really took off when I supplemented my leds with a 2 bulb T5.

I just built this out of wire shelving. I got that composite stuff and I’m pretty disappointed with it. The stuff cuts like garbage. I should’ve just used wood and painted it. You can see where I snipped out the wire and ziptied them open. The LEDs will rest on top. Hydra will go in the middle. A Prime on left and right and I will hang 2 t5 bulbs underneath. I’m still figuring out how I’m going to mount it to the wall. I think I’ll use a track system so I can raise or lower it.
EB332A7B-6B1C-4880-A639-7969317587EF.jpeg

That canopy looks great even if you think its cheap! The idea of the adjustable track is great. I have a canopy that I can't adjust up or down and it drives me nuts because I cant get to the back bottom of the tank. I hung mine with brackets off of the wall and chain that attaches to a hook. I like the idea of the track system. I personally love the LED T5 combo and I think you will too.

That canopy looks great even if you think its cheap! The idea of the adjustable track is great. I have a canopy that I can't adjust up or down and it drives me nuts because I cant get to the back bottom of the tank. I hung mine with brackets off of the wall and chain that attaches to a hook. I like the idea of the track system. I personally love the LED T5 combo and I think you will too.

Thanks. The trimwork isn’t structural anyway, so I can always replace it later with better woodwork when I feel like it. I’m going to get the 2 bulb LET retrofit kit and I think I’m just going to do 24” bulbs since I think 36” will be tight with wiring and stuff. I’ll have a Prime 6” from both ends of the tank, so I don’t think I’ll have any dark spots anyway.

I have the LET it's funky to wire but works great and I have been happy with it. I got the dimmable one for a few extra bucks but has to be controlled through a controller.

I have the LET it's funky to wire but works great and I have been happy with it. I got the dimmable one for a few extra bucks but has to be controlled through a controller.
Ya I didn’t feel like getting the add on for my reefkeeper for ramping when I’ll have all the LEDs to ramp with. I’ll just have them come on an hour before peak and then off an hour after peak, so they’ll be on for about 4-6 hours a day.

Ya I didn’t feel like getting the add on for my reefkeeper for ramping when I’ll have all the LEDs to ramp with. I’ll just have them come on an hour before peak and then off an hour after peak, so they’ll be on for about 4-6 hours a day.

I don't dim mine either I just use the LED's for ramping before and after the T5 schedule also. Sounds good man good luck I hope it works out well for you!

I rewrapped it with wood and painted it because the crappy composite was bugging me so much. I just didn’t put a base molding on because this is costing me too much money lol.
EB371E51-AACA-4747-A24E-53D5F3024641.jpeg

It’s done. Not all the lights are mounted in it yet. I’ll be getting my other Prime back later this week and the t5 retrokit probably next week. I’m not sure how I feel about it yet. I know the lighting will definitely be better and more filled in for sure. I think the only way I would truly like it is if it was wired to the ceiling. I think it’s the mounting system I don’t like

0112A7B0-C1B5-4379-B5C6-8F790095CE36.jpeg
A52E3365-290D-406A-86CF-73002924437C.jpeg

Looks clean to me!

Believe me - the ability to adjust the height is worth an aesthetic sacrifice if that is what is bothering you... Mine is only like 10" to the top of my tank it makes it miserable to work in the tank sometimes let alone try to get at my overflow box for anything...

Looking streamlined get those T5's going and you will be pumped...

Thanks. The LEDs are 13-14” from the water so the t5s will be about 10-11”. Hope everything fits good. I might have to mount the t5s off the side and angle the reflectors down.

I like this canopy
Maybe I’ll try something similar for my biocube. Only issue is I’ll need to get some sort of black acrylic to mold up to the canopy so there’s no light spill, fish jumping or daughter attempting to play ball with the fish lol

I like this canopy
Maybe I’ll try something similar for my biocube. Only issue is I’ll need to get some sort of black acrylic to mold up to the canopy so there’s no light spill, fish jumping or daughter attempting to play ball with the fish lol
I can’t imagine building something that has to conform to curves. A lot more work.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back