Lighting help please

Jason72

Non-member
Hi all - I have a 110 tall (48 x 30" deep) and I've had the old style Max Razor LED 300w. It's been nothing but trouble and began overheating about every two weeks, whenever the room was above 80. I've used their "we'll fix it" service but after sending it to them 4 times since April it's still not fixed, and they're not very sympathetic to the fact that I could almost have bought a new one for the continual shipping costs of sending it back to them to try again.

It finally died for good it seems. So, as much as I like the razor features, I'm sick of them and hesitant to buy a new one.

Any suggestions? Would I be best served to just take a deep breathe and get another razor or is there a better option?

Mixed tank - some SPS - have a canopy so the black box style lights don't really work (I can't mount them high enough to avoid the spotlight look) I like the sunrise/set feature as well as the moonlight. I'd like to stick with LEDs

Thanks for your opinions!

My kessils started dying earlier this year, and switched to Reefbreeders (via Dong-AcroGardens) and couldn't be happier.

About the old Maxspect Razor, is it completely dead or just the powersupply?

About the old Maxspect Razor, is it completely dead or just the powersupply?
Hi Dong - the power supply light is on but I don't know. I've replaced the power supply in the past, and sent it back to them several times for repair - none of which has worked. I really liked the light - when it worked! :)

Thanks for the input JBendel!

I can look at it and see if I can fix it. I did a lot of repair works on Maxspect Razors.

Hi Dong. That’s so great of an offer but I’m all set with this thing. I just don’t trust it so I think it’s time to replace. If anyone else has a thought on a fixture they like that’s good about 7-8” off the surface, I’ll listen!

Dong sells just about every light there is, so I'd go see him or PM anyway. I run Radions and AI's but have heard amazing things about ReefBreeders.

Hi Dong. That’s so great of an offer but I’m all set with this thing. I just don’t trust it so I think it’s time to replace. If anyone else has a thought on a fixture they like that’s good about 7-8” off the surface, I’ll listen!
I have plenty of lighting options available.
I am a Reefbreeders dealer too. You are welcome to come see them in action.
The quality and the value of Reefbreeders is hard to beat, they comes with 2 years warranty too. I also service their lights.

I runs Maxspect razors as well but they do need quite a bit of service. I can give you some trade value on your Maxspect razor depends on what is broken, and to use it as parts to repair mine.

Been running reef breeders photon i got from dong. mixed reef here and it does grow stuff well. this is from this monday afternoon.
A3E2D16C-8C66-4C97-AA93-CBF9EC4976D1.jpeg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back