Lighting Question

I shop based on PAR readings. I don’t see anything on first glance at that model. The Chinese black. Boxes would work as well... much cheaper too. I have a 72 bowfront, 18x48x 24 and I have two dersa (sp?) clams thriving. I don’t put sps on the sand so it is working for me. 100 bucks for a mars or equivalent. 200 if you want a programmable controllable one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought about getting the cheap chinese one but just worried about how much of a fire hazard they are.

Since you have a budget up to 450usd.
If you want LED, I would look into Hydra26, Radion for LED
If you want mix of LED/T5, look into ATI Hybrid
I dont know why Maxspect Razor makes their LED fixture so big & wide. it's like hanging a big floating canopy cover on top of the tank.

I wouldnt try any DIY or customized led.... just wasting money (my opinion)

good luck

I swtiched from LED to T5 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I miss the pop, but that can be fixed with a hybrid fixture or some form of accent LED. I would personally go ATI...non dimmable. You can get a 6 bulb fixture for $450. Granted you would still need bulbs but it would be a sweet light.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would not put 1 hydra 26 nor would I put 1 hydra 52 for that matter over a 24x24 space. I would put 2 and not turn them up 100%. The problem with puck LED is not the intensity it's the spread. LEDs are almost lasers but shown through an optic to spread the light.

Take my advice with a grain of salt though I'm not a led fan.

A 16 inch Reefbreeders Photon V2 will fit your bill nicely.

It uses the same cree, semiLED chips that used in hydra and Radion. Just a lot cheaper and even come with mounting legs and hanging kit.

Also it is a grid design instead of puck design to reduce shadowing.
I sell and carry these led lights and I also am using these led on my tanks.
You are welcome to drop by and see them.

Chinese black boxes led will work well as well, if you got the idea of fire hazard from that BRS video on you tube, please understand that it does not reflect the truth.

For led fixtures, price does not reflect the technology and quality. Also not all black boxes are built equally.

For AI hydra, radion and kessil, the high price is partly due to all of them manufacture at least some key components in house which adds up the cost due to small production scale.

On the other hand, chinese led are mass produced in millions for horticulture market. They just change the led layout for reef applications.

Chinese led also lack behind in the software department, it is not as user friendly as the domestic brands.

Also if you look at the horticulture market, black box style leds dominate the top 10.

I have just had friends with the Chinese black boxes that have caught on fire for them or blown and almost caused a fire. But that Reefbreeders Photon V2 is almost exactly what I am looking for. I get out of work at 4pm toady and could come by after if your around. Never been to your shop before.

I have just had friends with the Chinese black boxes that have caught on fire for them or blown and almost caused a fire. But that Reefbreeders Photon V2 is almost exactly what I am looking for. I get out of work at 4pm toady and could come by after if your around. Never been to your shop before.

I bought a Reef Breeder V2 from Dong last month (after my Steves LED failed). Great light at a great price. Easy to program. Highly recommend.

Just an update, I did end up getting that 16 inch Reefbreeders Photon V2 from Acro Garden. Really preforms well! Great spread, color, and quality! Does take a little bit of time to dial in what you want but the remote makes it easier lol Only complaint(unless I haven't discovered it yet) is that it when using a custom setting, it jumps to your next change instead of slowing ramping over time.

Glad you like it. Yes, I don't think it ramps gradually. My light before was a Steve's LED on a Homedepot plug timer, so it's a step up for me!

zreefbreeders said the will release a software update which will give smoother rampimg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back