Lighting Upgrade Biocube 29 Gal

elton092982

MVP
BRS Member
I'm looking to upgrade my lighting. I have always had a fish only tank and wanted to try some corals . Currently my lighting is the stock 36 watt bulbs. I would like to keep the hood suggestions please.

Last edited:
I have a spanking new Metal halide upgrade for the 29 gallon biocube. Grow anything!

I bought the nanobox upgrade kit. Uses the stock hood and has a very clean look. I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Some pics for you.

halide bio.jpg

halide biocube.jpg

I spent 100 bucks on a 165w light and removed it from its case and dropped it into my hood after removing all my compact hardware. Works like a dream and it's dismantle. I also have the 29 coral life biocube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanobox light is one of the best buys I have ever made in reef keeping. My corals love it growth, color and polyp extension are amazing. The bluefish controller is very user friendly and has a ton of features.

I did a lot of research before buying this light. I narrowed it down to Nanobox or StevesLeds who also sells a retrofit kit for the BC29. Both have the bluefish option which was a big factor for me.

Good luck with your selection!

Thanks for the pics cape. Just curious on the wiring and setup . Is it difficult to wire in ? Also what's the price tag of these .

It comes already wired up. All you have to do is make a few small cuts with scissors or a knife. The only thing I did was add an extra fan to my hood to pull air out of the hood. The fan on the heat sink pulls air in and the extra fan pushes it out.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I used 6 truelumen strips with the ramp pro timer. I took all the guts from the old lights out and installed the strips. 3 blue, 1 12k and 2 50/50 strips. I had no problem growing sps and keeping anemones. I still have the whole setup sitting in my basement. Spent over $300 for the whole setup. I'll let it go for $200

Nanobox Retro Plus (4 channel)

Heatsink - Pre Drilled
2 - Nano Box 13Up V3 Arrays
Fan
Power Supply
Bluefish Mini Wireless Controller
The kit is 95% finished. Simply strip the hood, mount new heatsink and power cables and then turn on. The Plus version includes four channel dimming. The Plus M includes four channel control and dedicated moonlight.

Total= $329.95

Late to the party but Nanobox is the way to go. Dave is super awesome at what he does. Product and tech support is amazing. Check out his sponsor forum at nan-reef.com. Easy install. Beautiful lights

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you want to keep it simple and keep the stock hood I would recommend the nanobox also. I have them in the Red Sea Max 130. They are working great. Easy install and great quality.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back