Lights... To blue or not to blue?

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
Just curious what everybody runs for white % vs blue % on their LEDs? I have had bad luck with acans with LEDs but a wise acan master said my ligjts might be too white so just throwing it out there incase I was to relapse on my acan addiction

This is currently what I run my hydra 32 at, similar to when I had a 26 and comparable to the ab+ spectrum.

Been ramping it up slowly each week but keeping same spectrum and have had good results from lps to acans and sps/acro. Of course placement comes into play because of par values.

I’ve found that my acans don’t like being blasted with light and I tend to put them at the outer edges or at the base of the rocks with possible slight shadowing.

Attachments

• B83EE59E-D1A9-4DA5-98D9-8CC7C297A0A4.png
    B83EE59E-D1A9-4DA5-98D9-8CC7C297A0A4.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I used to have white up to 30% but I just switched to this last night...
20200216_064813_HDR.jpg

There is a lot of info online about the best spectrum for your aquarium based on what you have in it. After a lot of reading you will have a better idea of what you need for coral growth.

Another way of seeing this topic will be "how you want your tank looks" independently on what would be the best balance for the corals.

For example. Corals growth great in MH. But I never saw the colors that some LEDs, are able to pop out based on what side of the spectrum you have them setup.

At the end, most corals will adapt and will growth if they have, in a certain balance, a full spectrum.

More blues or less blue will shift the spectrum to one side or the other, but the mix of both (blues+white) will make your corals growth because they have all what they need.

In particular, I hate blue tanks, as they look very unnatural. But that is me !!!

In my 6 T5 light fixture I have 2 blue actinic- left side of spectrum), 1 pink (right of the spectrum) and 3 that covers all of them (White-bluish).

Cheers

Just curious what everybody runs for white % vs blue % on their LEDs? I have had bad luck with acans with LEDs but a wise acan master said my ligjts might be too white so just throwing it out there incase I was to relapse on my acan addiction

I bet your acans didn't died because of a white color excess, but for sure for other 100 options.

Just my view !

Back