Little Help

J-Bucci

Non-member
I’m going to be setting up my Reef Shortly. A lot of stuff is on the way. But, i never drilled a tank and I’m Quite nervous about it. (40 Breeder) into a Eshopps RS-75 3rd Gen, with a Sicce 3.0 Return pump, I will have the Drill bits. Overflow and return. I need someone that truly knows what they are doing and will to possibly help me. I could even throw you some cash. (Don’t kill me) on it. HaHa
But I can Appreciate someone’s time

Plenty of Youtube videos out there. Let the drill and the bit do the work and you'll be good to go. Check wit Ocean State Aquatics in RI, they may offer tank drilling.

Plenty of Youtube videos out there. Let the drill and the bit do the work and you'll be good to go. Check wit Ocean State Aquatics in RI, they may offer tank drilling.
I’m in RI he won’t help. Thought he might but nope. It’s cool I will do my supply shopping at SeaCreatures John is awesome. But won’t drill either. If I could do it honestly I wouldn’t had swallowed my pride and asked. Lol

I’m in RI he won’t help. Thought he might but nope. It’s cool I will do my supply shopping at SeaCreatures John is awesome. But won’t drill either. If I could do it honestly I wouldn’t had swallowed my pride and asked. Lol
Not about swallowing pride to ask a question, it's rather smart. Not too sure with the pandemic going on.

yes. Thanks, I want to make sure to do this right the first time. I know a lot of these dudes are super cool that’s why I asked

I would also suggest buying some cheap 10 gallon tanks from the big box stores during $1 a gallon tank sale and practice drilling on those if you don't want your first tank drilling session to be on your good tank...

I would also suggest buying some cheap 10 gallon tanks from the big box stores during $1 a gallon tank sale and practice drilling on those if you don't want your first tank drilling session to be on your good tank...
Lol I’m not doing it. If I can’t find help I will run this thing Sumpless. I’m on the fence as it is anyway.

Lol I’m not doing it. If I can’t find help I will run this thing Sumpless. I’m on the fence as it is anyway.

I'm lucky my father-in-law is a retired union glazier so I just use his expertise if I need to drill glass... I'm at the point I could do it easily but afboundguy's better 1/2 loves it when I ask her father for help and I'm not a total dummy ;)

It's really not as bad as you think. With my kids help (like 8 years ago, so they were 4 and 8) we drilled a couple different tanks. Like everything else in this hobby "take it slow" applies.

- Lay the tank on it's side
- Put a blanket/towel inside the tank to catch any falling pieces
- Used putty/etc. to make a dam around where you'll be cutting
- Use water to keep the hole bit cool
- Use card board or wood to make a template; might help keep the bit from wiggling
- Apply gentle, even pressure... running the drill at lower speeds - take your time
- Once you get the initial grove going it becomes easier, just resist the urge to go faster

Having helpers to pour water, hold the tank steady, etc. helps.

Pro Tip: Don't let the hucksters at a BRS meeting have you drill a larger tank and then laugh at you when it explodes because it was tempered. No -- that wasn't me, it was "a friend".

It's really not as bad as you think. With my kids help (like 8 years ago, so they were 4 and 8) we drilled a couple different tanks. Like everything else in this hobby "take it slow" applies.

- Lay the tank on it's side
- Put a blanket/towel inside the tank to catch any falling pieces
- Used putty/etc. to make a dam around where you'll be cutting
- Use water to keep the hole bit cool
- Use card board or wood to make a template; might help keep the bit from wiggling
- Apply gentle, even pressure... running the drill at lower speeds - take your time
- Once you get the initial grove going it becomes easier, just resist the urge to go faster

Having helpers to pour water, hold the tank steady, etc. helps.

Pro Tip: Don't let the hucksters at a BRS meeting have you drill a larger tank and then laugh at you when it explodes because it was tempered. No -- that wasn't me, it was "a friend".
I drilled a tank for the first time last year and this is exactly how I did it...just let the drill do the work. it takes more patience and steadiness than strength. you might want to try it soon, if by any chance it doesn't come out right petco has their $1 sale going on now.

I drilled a tank for the first time last year and this is exactly how I did it...just let the drill do the work. it takes more patience and steadiness than strength. you might want to try it soon, if by any chance it doesn't come out right petco has their $1 sale going on now.
Lol I guess a lot of you don’t read all the comments. I’m Not doing it.... but I appreciate the enthusiasm hahaha

Lol I guess a lot of you don’t read all the comments. I’m Not doing it.... but I appreciate the enthusiasm hahaha
hahaha, if I had more experience in doing it I would do it for you but like I said I got one tank drilled under my belt and even though I got through it I wont be comfortable doing it for someone else's tank...good luck!!

I (and most likely WE) read the comments. Just trying to tell you it's not that hard.

If you don't want to do it that's your call. You might not take the advice, but someone else with the same questions/concerns may read it and decide they want to try it.

Back