Little red feather dusters-Pests?

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
I'm getting a lot of red feather dusters on the rocks. It started just 2-3 now its more like 20-25 on most of my rocks! Are they pesky like aptaisia? They have a white shell/tube with red feather.

they are fine and good filter feaders they do multiply rather quickly my sand bed at nite looks like a sheet of waving hands but I like it their our some fish that love these guys I can only think of copperbanded and other butterflies at he moment fo lack of caffiene yet.

Ditto what Dudge said.
I used to have a ton of the smaller white and purple featherdusters covering my rocks, sand and tank walls. I liked them but they were getting a little out of control. I didnt have the heart to just scrape them off the walls. But i got a CBB and he took care of all of them over 2 nights. I havent seen him go after anything else after the dusters were gone.
HTH,
Abbey

I've never seen these critters get out of control, I have the red and white forms in many tanks. They are an excellent natural particulate filter for your tank/system. I would encourage their growth. I think the red ones are kind of pretty myself.

Oh i dont think of them as a pest. they are self limiting- depending on how much extra food/nutrients are in the water. BUT if you wanted them gone you could get rid of them by 1) feeding less or 2) get someone that likes to eat them ie a butterfly
hth
abbey

I used to have a lot of FD when i was feeding phyto regularly. Now i don't feed phyto that often and now i have less tiny FD then i used to have...

I wonder if thats the reason why the duster is multiplying like crazy. I feed two capful of phyto every other day for my clams.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back