LIVE PHYTOPLANKTON

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
Thanks to @jsak1976 for the info and the goods. Got live phyto and a few corals from you at the brs show. I been using it daily at 2.5ml per 25gal. since then. Im getting great results with my LPS. Just a few pics below. I get this reaction the whole time the lights are on.

Attachments

• Acan-feeders.jpg
    Acan-feeders.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 300
Thanks to @jsak1976 for the info and the goods. Got live phyto and a few corals from you at the brs show. I been using it daily at 2.5ml per 25gal. since then. Im getting great results with my LPS. Just a few pics below. I get this reaction the whole time the lights are on.

That is awesome! Glad to hear. My LPS love it also, same thing polyps out 24hrs a day. That’s a pretty small amount your using also which is fine, there really is no reason to over do it just a little each day will make them very happy. Here’s one of the acans in one of my tanks things a monster!

1b96bec0fb73cde98beafe6624137eef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your a bit far from me unfortunately, I'm south of Boston. I do travel for work so when I'm going to be in you area I will def.hook up.

That is a bit of a drive lol who’s your local LFS? Jays Aquatics in Salem, NH has been selling my phyto for over 6 months now and I’ve been talking with Marty from European Aquatics so hopefully he will be selling it shortly also. I can talk with your local LFS and see if they would be interested in starting their own culture to have available to sell to customers or if they’d prefer to just sell mine.

@FishieBusiness, lives two towns away from me. Unfortunately, when Underwater World went out of business due to the mall it was housed in, that was the only LFS around. (Reef Related) Lovely Pets will be moving down to Kingston the end of this month, so that should be the new go to spot for us deep South Shore guys.

Culture live phytoplankton is very easy.
I have f2 fertilizer, starting culture available if you need it fast.
These also available on Amazon.

All you need is a 2L soda bottle, some plastic tubing, a cheap air pump, a cheap LED light.

There are many video online to show you how to do it.

When you start the culturing process, you will have more phytoplankton available than you can consume. Then you can share or sell to your local friends.

Last edited:
Now anyone who want to try some phytoplankton can have some free to try out.

Let’s keep this thread on topic. Live phyto is showing benefits in corals feeding habits and is easy to culture. Starting cultures can be found at two of our sponsors (and a couple stores they supply) in this thread and anyone interested in starting their own culture can learn from them or online.

Happy reefing everyone

@CAPSLOCK & @mnavick please clean up excess communication.

Since jsak1976 and dz6t don't live near each other, I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. I think it's great that Dong wants to teach others how to make phyto or offers his for sale. I know for a fact that despite my best intentions, I always fail at it as well as cultivating my own pods. If someone near me can do either, I'll happily buy from them. Regardless of who the seller is, it supports members of the club and hobby, which is what we are supposed to be about.

Since jsak1976 and dz6t don't live near each other, I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. I think it's great that Dong wants to teach others how to make phyto or offers his for sale. I know for a fact that despite my best intentions, I always fail at it as well as cultivating my own pods. If someone near me can do either, I'll happily buy from them. Regardless of who the seller is, it supports members of the club and hobby, which is what we are supposed to be about.
That's was not the point my dear...you probably missed a couple of messages in the threat. But yes, they leave not near each other, I myself buy from both. As long as we support both business and they are doing the healthy competition, as I like to call. It;'s totally fine, sell, give for free or teach how to do. I help every week people from 4 different countries exchanging info about this hobby, we all do right? If you even look to this video I thank both @dz6t and @jsak1976 for what they do and how much they both helped me to get in the hobby where I'm today. Both, Dong and Josh are wonderful people and great professionals.

I agree. However, since the thread was in Reef Talk, not the Marketplace, it opens it up for discussion. In closing, both sellers are great people, and I think personal arguments are best left in private. Have a great day.

Last edited:
Cleaned up the thread to bring it back on topic. Please no personal squabbles everyone - use the little conversation button if you feel the need.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back