Looking for chromis and urchins

LaneBrain

BRS Member
Looking to add an urchin (tuxedo or similar) to my reef tank for some green hair algae control as well as a school of 3/4/5 chromis. Any leads?

No idea on the urchin, but I got some chestnut turbos form European Aquatics that ate my GHA problem away shockingly quickly. Side benefit is that they don't eat coralline algae.

For urchins check Petco, the local one here has aquaculture urchins available frequently, I picked up three almost a year ago and they have been great

Do the urchins eat green hair algae? And do the chromes eat it too? I got it too .any help is much appreciated
thanks
Bill
I have one urchin in my 20 gallon he is like a lawn mower, actually does too good a job some times and will leave bare spots that are white stone.

Urchins are a pain in the reef tank. They knock over frags and can mow through zoas. I don't think they eat them but can rip them off the rocks. I love urchins and plumbed in a separate 40 breeder into my system to house them.

How big is your tank, I have a golfball sized urchin And he is more than enough for 20 gallons. I'd start with one. Or two small ones that would get in tighter areas.

They do tend to pick things up, snails, frags, rocks, it now avoids my frags that they have been secured down.
How many urchins can you have together?

Back