Looking for instructions to build a 20g L sump

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
I am going to attempt to build my own sump for the fist time with a 20g L tank.
Recommended baffle heights and spacing

Thanks in advance

Ill have to check it out on my pc it does not show up using my I pad. Thanks

Weird, I'm on an iPad and can see it. Search for melevsreef and click sumps then click 20 long build

I cant see the pics on the page I can read it

if you have a good & reliable top off system, then your sump does not need to have baffles.

Have ato on current dt. Im not there yet just starting ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452047892.110692.jpg

I am going to post the whole build in the DIY section when finished. Old antique dresser for $45 bucks

Going to continue the theme here and say that is an awesome stand!

The size and height of your chambers will depend somewhat on your equipment - size of skimmer determines size of skimmer area (and the skimmer's height may determine the depth, though that can also be adjusted by putting the skimmer on a stand), size of return pump for the return section, etc. Usually if you're doing bubble traps you want about an inch between them, can also do 3/4" between the bubble trap baffles.

Make sure to ask them to grind the long edges of the baffles, so that they aren't sharp... cuts + SW = sadness.

Looking at the bubble magnus NAC3.5 good for 25-80 gallons 8-10" water level. Looking to find someone who is running one to see if they are happy with it. It is only 17" tall and would be great for this build. Here is a pic of the additional supports I added to beef it up a little. I have 21" of height for equipment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452134186.239225.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1452134203.113625.jpg

Piano hinge? Looks so cool, can ya like frame the tank w weathered wood to keep the look all the way to the top?
Loving the repurposed stand

I was thinking of trying to make a open top canopy to tie the tank to the stand. I have a perfect match stain/urethane I used to fill scratches. Time will tell. I ended up ordering glas holes 700gph overflow box. And 2-3/4 lock line return kits. Im thinking sicce 2.0 return pump. What do you think. This is my plan for my 20L sumpImageUploadedByTapatalk1452909586.573974.jpg recommended by a fellow BRS member

I have the same setup (minus the sweet stand). Sicce return pump is awesome - dead silent and adjustable. I run it with just one 3/4" return but it is throttled back quite a bit.

My baffles are 8" and I have an outlet on the skimmer so it empties over the bubble trap right into the fuge. Skimmer is on a little 1.5" egg crate stand to accommodate the height. Are you going to run an ATO? If you aren't, consider more height in the return pump section to allow for the water level to lower a bit during the day.

Also make sure to have them send along extra enkamat with the glass holes overflow as it is very noisy without a bunch crammed in there.

I have to figure out here to stick a ato resivour. Maybe it will sit on top of the tank and use just a line and a float switch

I have to figure out here to stick a ato resivour. Maybe it will sit on top of the tank and use just a line and a float switch

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back