WTB Looking to borrow a canister filter and pump

chadfish

BRS Member
Hi everyone,

I’m battling dinos and would love to employ aggressive mechanical filtration.

Does anyone have a filter housing and pump that I can borrow? I’d fill it with a 50 micron filter sock or and suck up the dinos and let it run in the DT overnight.
I’m thinking something like this with a centrifugal pump.

I’d only need it for a week.
thanks

I have an emperor 400 it can hold 2 cartridge filters and includes basket for 2 more that can be filled with filter floss materials. I used it during a tank swap to polish the water after transferring rock and live stock. I'm in methuen

I have an emperor 400 it can hold 2 cartridge filters and includes basket for 2 more that can be filled with filter floss materials. I used it during a tank swap to polish the water after transferring rock and live stock. I'm in methuen
Thanks, but after looking at this online, I don’t think it will work the way I want. Also it probably wouldn’t attach to my acrylic tank.
Many thanks for the offer

Maybe this will help. Suck out all the crap in bottom of overflow box. Old school here. Dont know why this is so overlooked. Get a long Turkey baster and get it cleaned. Use a sock and clean it out. Gonna take ya a bit but once thats done, then do a regular water change, blow turkey baster in sand, useless to vacuum. You'd be surprised were your dino is hiding the best. Then you'll be able to beat it naturally.

May have a Magnum 350 if you need to borrow it.
Thanks. I'm trying out something similar, the Marineland Magnum internal polishing filter, but if it doesn't work, the 350 is ideal because I can connect a substrate vacuum to the inlet to suck up the dinos on the sand - more targeted.

My plan is to filter the water aggressively at 50 microns (less if I could find a 20 micron) and run UV. This will remove most of the dinos as well as a bunch of other beneficial planktonic organisms. Then I'm going to treat with a ton of live phytoplankton as well as Microbacter Clean (and maybe 7 after that). I'm also going to take @Paul B 's advice and start feeding raw clams with the bellies and soaking the food in probiotics.

As soon as it looks like the dinos are under control or gone, I'm adding some cultured live rock too. My dry rock is a great filter, but the live rock will bring in more diversity.

Wish me luck

Maybe this will help. Suck out all the crap in bottom of overflow box. Old school here. Dont know why this is so overlooked. Get a long Turkey baster and get it cleaned. Use a sock and clean it out. Gonna take ya a bit but once thats done, then do a regular water change, blow turkey baster in sand, useless to vacuum. You'd be surprised were your dino is hiding the best. Then you'll be able to beat it naturally.
Great idea!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back