Looking to upgrade my skimmer

Gsxkid

BRS Member
I have a Coralife skimmer it’s older and not big enough for my tank. I’m looking to upgrade. What’s everyone’s preference on skimmers is there one that is better than the rest?

Check out the Coral Box skimmers (https://www.reefbreeders.com/product-category/protein_skimmers/ or I believe @dz6t can get them) They have some really nice features for the price. Controllable DC pump (super quiet), controllable air intake and comes with a skimmer overflow sensor.

I did a ton of research while stuck at home and stuck doing nothing at work to keep me somewhat occupied and for the miniscule chance I'd get a bigger tank and that was the best bang for buck and best reviews...

... Controllable DC pump (super quiet), controllable air intake and comes with a skimmer overflow sensor.

I did a ton of research while stuck at home and stuck doing nothing at work to keep me somewhat occupied and for the miniscule chance I'd get a bigger tank and that was the best bang for buck and best reviews...

Having a controllable DC pump on a skimmer is great especially if you want to fine tune your skimmer or have a hard time dialing in your skimmer. The high-level float and included drain line and valve are nice to be included on the Coral box. I added both of those to my Simplicity 240, although I hardly ever use the drain port.

Aquamaxx ConeS Q2, or fc 180. I used to be a reef octopus fan until I got my first aquamaxx. Pumps last much longer and they are much more consistent in skimmate production. Price to performance these can't be beat

I highly recommend eshopps 200 skimmer. By far the best skimmer I have used, very efficient and also easy access for maintenance and yet quality construction as well as solid sicce pump and very friendly 7 x 9 footprint. Its the last skimmer I will own/buy as i expect it to outlast me and my next 10yrs in this hobby. Thumbs up.

Another vote on LifeReef. I've ran ReefOctopus (standards, space savers and a recirculated), Alpha 170, Bubble Magnus Curve, and ASM before, was a equipement junkie. I won't go back to any of the others. I did swap the pump (Mag9) to a DC pump on my LifeReef. The build is solid, the only one comparable in build I had before is the Alpha 170, the othes the acrylic is much thinner.

I run a BBK and it’s incredible how quiet it is and the junk it pulls out. It’s wild

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back