Lost a couple fish last night...

JeanR

BRS Member
Earlier this week I noticed some cyanobacteria growing so I treated with Chemiclean, waited 48hrs and did a 30% water change. I have a 30g RSM mixed reef and I get some cyano growth every 4-6 months or so and just treat it with WC (and chemiclean when WC not enough).

Last night I turned off my pumps (return pump and MP10), spot fed my corals with reef roids/etc, turned the MP10 back on. Usually I leave it like this for an hour or so and then turn my return pump back on.

I forgot to turn my return pump on before going to bed and woke up this morning to 3 dead fish (royal gramma, clown fish, scooter blenny) and a dead feather duster. Other fish were gaping, but after turning on the return pump now appear to be fine (watchman goby, clown goby, 2 mandarins, 2 blue stripe pipefish, firefish).

I have forgotten to turn off the return pump after a coral feeding before, but this has never caused any fish to die.

Any idea why my missing the return pump was lethal this time?

How many fish did you have total?
If the water top wasn’t getting agitated they could deplete the oxygen in the tank pretty quickly without a skimmer, also how cold did the tank get?

Had 10 fish total, probably a bit high for a 30g. Don't know the exact temperature as thermometer is in the sump, but likely didn't fluctuate much.

I think your right regarding the oxygen. Chemiclean can also deplete oxygen. Am wondering if I still had some residual chemiclean in the system and the combination of that and my return pump just pushed everything off the cliff.

May be change the return pump to a small DC pump? DC pump has feed mode that will prevent this happens again.

I carry this tiny DC DCS-2000 return pump that has smaller foot print than a portable hard drive
760d601d8a3c20ea156fabe6fcb2df6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chemiclean label sayes it deprives water of oxygen. I used to run my skimmer without the cup when I'd treat cyano.

I agree mix of Chemiclean and not enough water agitation from the return that the oxygen was depleted.. Sorry to hear Jean that sucks..

Back