Love when the sun hits the tank

mvallee

Non-member
there is just something about the actual sun hitting the tank and the way the corals look in that light. It only happens for a couple months and a short window each day but is so beautiful
My google Pixel 2 does a pretty good job capturing the corals in natural light too

This Octospawn is only two heads but is a beast, I can't wait to see how this one develops. this was from Dong and I could not be happier.

IMG_20180505_182037.jpg

this Rock Flower NEM from Dong keeps getting brighter and brighter and in the sun it is amazing
IMG_20180505_182109.jpg

These trumpet corals also from dong are amazing, the only time they look better is under the Actinics, they fluoresce so much you can can't take your eyes off of them.

IMG_20180505_182120.jpg

this chalice from Greg Hiller is really cool under all light but the sun light gives it some extra pop
IMG_20180505_182135.jpg

These tealish trumpet coral are just blowing up and the only coral that the sun does not bring out the colors like the LED's do. From Dong too :)
IMG_20180505_182213.jpg

Close up of a montipora in the sun, look at those polyps reaching out. this is a Greg Hiller coral as well, Montipora Hispida
IMG_20180505_182243.jpg

This is a plainish looking coral but the polyp extension is pretty cool another Greg Hiller piece, turbinaria coral
IMG_20180505_182532.jpg

Look at the colors on the BTA's in the sun :cool:I have two BTA's now and am totally obsessed, I really want more but know they are dangerous in a reef if they decide to travel so must refrain :(. The Rainbow front and center is from Dong as well.
IMG_20180505_182713.jpg

I took a couple short videos too while the sun was hitting the tank.

I got this frag from Dong and I thought he said it was a Pavona Coral, look at those polyps flowing in the current and I think that is a feeder polyp extending out, I am afraid this might get dangerous to others around it but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

and the BTA swaying in the current, Love that rainbow nem it's really poppin

I took a Full tank video tonight for anyone wondering what size these pieces are, this is a 5' long tank just under LED and my cell phone

Funny I said the same thing this morning. My tank can get some early morning sun when it's this time of year and its warm enough to leave the front door open.

My tanks have always been by a window somehow and would get direct sunlight. I think they grow just a tad better for some reason but that’s probably all in my head

I took a couple short videos too while the sun was hitting the tank.

I got this frag from Dong and I thought he said it was a Pavona Coral, look at those polyps flowing in the current and I think that is a feeder polyp extending out, I am afraid this might get dangerous to others around it but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

and the BTA swaying in the current, Love that rainbow nem it's really poppin

You have your wavemakers on a fast frequency. Is everything happy with that?

seem to be, I tried a couple different modes on the vortech mp40 before settling on a simple back and forth and so far everything is doing well
I had mine up higher as well, but some stuff wasn't opening up all the way. The LPS were getting blown around pretty good.

I had mine up higher as well, but some stuff wasn't opening up all the way. The LPS were getting blown around pretty good.
Yes quite the challenge, between the return pumps steady flow that I can never seem to get to hit just the right spot while trying to give LPS the right flow with variable flow pumps to get that coveted back and forth wave of the long polyps, all while trying to keep enough flow for the SPS in highish current, the joys of a mixed reef I guess LOL
Right now I have an Octospawn that is swaying perfectly while my long polyp solomon island mushroom just 8" away is in flow that is pretty much just one direction, sooo close :confused:

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back