Made a tank lid for my 525XL

mind

Non-member
I have a small CNC router, so I got UV+Impact resistant Polycarbonate offcuts from Altec Plastics in Boston and went to work.

Result is this:
tank_lid_01.jpg

I still need to add the mesh/etc. At least now I will be able to get fish that jump! :)

Here it is installed. I will need to glue the polycarb pieces together. The commercial ones are done in what looks like 3/8", whereas I did mine in 1/4" to save on cost.
tank_lid_02.jpg

Looks very similar to the pices exo I got from clearview kids. Very impressive!

Looks very similar to the pices exo I got from clearview kids. Very impressive!

Yeah.... This is what happens when two engineers design for the same requirements. You get two designs that are rather similar, since there are only so many ways to solve a problem!

Some costs:
5 x 24" x 12" x 1/4" UV and impact resistant polycarbonate sheet : $130 ($26 each and could have probably done it in 4 sheets)
6' x 4' 1/4" clear mesh on Amazon (no longer available): $13
25' of gray 1/8" spline on Amazon: $3
2.5mm machine bits: $13

So... around $160 + time/effort. There is the potential to cut it down in price I could do it in 4 pieces of material instead of 5. There is also around 3-4 hours of manual work (breaking all the sharp edges on the pieces on both sides and assembly).

Still...... ClearView EXO lids are between 200-300 for the same size. Given that theirs is made from 3/8" material, the costs are likely double mine. Probably still worth if to get one of theirs in you want the nice lid features and the ability to expand it in the future for a different tank/etc.

-R

Last edited:
Care to make one for 625?

I could.... might need to "pay" me in tank knowledge and dipped frags though since I am a total salt-water newbie and my first corals are not looking great :(

Not sure if that sort of trade/barter is allowed here ? PM if not please!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back