Mag 9.5 performance drop?

Groove

XReefer :o(
Trying to figure out what is going on. When I first set up my Mag 9.5 return pump to my SCWD I had to back down the pump a little bit so the overflow could keep up. I noticed over the weekend that I can now run it wide open. Tonight I pulled the whole thing appart and cleaned everything. Nothing seemed very dirty and the pump showed no signs of wear. I tried running the pump without the SCWD directly back into the sump and wasn't impressed by the output power as I could cap off the pressure with my thumb without much effort. I put the whole thing back together and it seems no better. :confused: Now I'm wondering if I really tuned the overflow to keep up with the reurn or if the pump may be going.

Has anyone seen a Mag pump slowly die with no sign of wear?

Are you sure all the blades on the impeller were there? Sounds just like a 9.5 I used to have and every 6 months or so it would toss a blade or 3 and I would need to replace the impeller.

I would try replacing the impellar anyway, wear on the blade tips can literally shorten them.....that allows water to slip by, around the tips, dropping the overall pressure the pump can achieve.

This is the number one reason to keep particulates from getting into pumps.

All the blades were on the impeller and it's only a couple months old. I guess the ends of the blades could be worn. Only one way to find out, ordering a replacement.

Thanks

One other thing that will slow the output,
(excuse this highly techinical description)
Inside the housing above the impeller there is a rubber "flapper like" wadtahellisit valve, looks like it may be there to direct the flow out? I've had mag pumps with that guy broken off before too.

marco67 said:
One other thing that will slow the output,
(excuse this highly techinical description)
Inside the housing above the impeller there is a rubber "flapper like" wadtahellisit valve, looks like it may be there to direct the flow out? I've had mag pumps with that guy broken off before too.

Hmmm I don't know if I had this "flapper like wadtahellisit valve?" I will break it down again to see if I have it. :cool:

It's a rubber like material. stays in the housing when removed and is on the output side.

First of all...Happy Cinco de Mayo! woohoo!...anyway, also had a similar prob with a
2 month old mag7. Also cutting back on the flow can make them inherently noisier over
time.

Do you keep that foam around the intake of the Mag 7 pumps ? I was thinking about removing it. It's surrounded with foam in the sump anyway. What do you think ?

I have a Mag5 that seems to have dropped in output also. I have a replacement impellar, just haven't reaplced it to see if that is the issue

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back