Mag/Kalk question

mustangtjb

BRS Member
So I read the thread below (Alk Question) but my issue seems to be the amount of Mag I'm burning thru. I'm dosing Aqua Forrest 3 part and I've finally got my numbers to around standards. The tank is primarily LPS and SPS and is finally doing OK to good/healthy/seeing small growth.

I am however BURNING thru mag and only now that I have managed to stabilize everything and has been that way for 2/3 months now I'm ripping thru mag to keep it that way? Am I doing something wrong or is it just true consumption going on? Stuff isn't growing at leaps and bounds but it is growing?

Lastly I'm confused as I see guys running Kalk which handles Cal and Alk but do people then dose Mg as well to keep the 3 stable?

Thx for reading and for the knowledge.

What's your level and how much mag you're "burning". Most people get mag just from waterchanges. I put a little bit of Zeomag media in my calcium reactor but I'm questioning it now since my mag level is reading 1600ppm which is 200ppm higher than what I want.

What kind of salt are you using? Which test kit?

Thanks guys, might not be "burning" to others as I'm guessing it all varies on tank size, coral type etc (correct me if I'm wrong). The tank is a 30 long (small I know), with a Large CPR "fuge" and not sumped. I seem to be going thru double the amt (5000ml) of Aquaforrest Mag as I do Ca & Alk ?

For example, presently, my dosing Ca & Alk containers (Mag is almost empty) are about a 1/4-1/2 full from my second to last AF 3 part purchase. I had a bag of ME Coral Mag in powder form lying around mixed it used it fill the Mag container twice. Burned thru that. Anticipating the need for more Mag I bought another box of the 3 part (most recent 3 part purchase).

I haven't even finished the second to last purchase of AF Ca & Alk. So some REAL rough math here is in the last 6 months I've dosed approx 5-7k ML of Ca & Alk to 10K of Mag? (the ME Coral stuff only made about 2/4 of a jug of Mag)

Presently I'm about to add the the second/remainder (call it 2500ML) as the Mag container is very low. Corals look pretty good (not great) noting is outright dying. Just seems extreme to me for (call it) a 33 gallon setup?
(Bunch of Monti cap, 2 big bird's nest, 2 smaller green slimer, 4 small purple poci, a few small candy canes, 3 small Euphyllia inc 2 big duncans, galaxia) the rest is softies.

Dong to your question Instant Ocean Sea Salt (purple cap stuff) and Salifert Mag test kit.

Continued thoughts & feedback appreciated.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back