Magnesium Chloride-Pooled Order $12 a bag!!

Pat H.

(Previously PHreef)
BRS Member
OK, here we go for real this time! We have the price, shipping and delivery location worked out.(still need pick up spots)

The Product: Dead Sea Works Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate (MgCl2 6H20) Technical Grade.

The Price: $12 per 55 lb bag (includes shipping and Paypal fee)

How to pay: Prepay by Paypal to me(I Will post info after the total is reached)

We need a minimum of 40 bags to order a pallet. 80 for two pallets, The price per bag changes very little for 40 or 80 bags so I'll leave the price the same for either quantity.

You can get info about the product and how to use it from this older pooled order thread from a little over a year ago.

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3568&highlight=magnesium+chloride

Here is the thread with the DIY mag supplement formula correction. Greg had made an error on the large volume prep and this is the correct mixture.

http://216.235.242.50/forums/showthread.php?t=4695&highlight=magnesium+chloride

Please post here so that we can get a head count. When we get our total I will post payment information.

We will need volunteers to take bags to other areas for distribution to members, because the Mag CAN'T be distributed to members from the delivery location (Wilmington MA). Maybe you have room in your garage for a few bags and can hold them until pick up. Greg will take up to 15 bags at his place in Wakefield MA for people in that area. I will take as many as needed up to my area in southern NH. Any volunteers will have to meet with me the day I have to move it (probably the day it's delivered) in Wilmington.

Get as many bags as you want. We have a good price and shipping quote for up to two pallets (80 bags).

Thanks everyone!

I will take 4 bags. I can store bags for anyone in the kingston\carver area i can haul the stuff from wilmington as well.

At that price i will take 4 Pat please.I maybe able to pick up to and haul for southern folks

3 PHreef
4 Greg Hiller
2 ReeferMedic
4 delta (South Shore/Cape)
4 ltelus (South Shore/RI)

Total: 17

Thanks guys for the hauling/storing offers! I'll put volunteers down by the area. Let me know if your area's wrong:D

3 PHreef
4 Greg Hiller
2 ReeferMedic
4 delta (South Shore/Cape)
4 ltelus (South Shore)
3 rtc_reefer

Total: 20

Holy Cow! Half a pallet already :eek:

There should be plenty of this stuff stashed around the club for a while!

Yeah Rick, this is cheaper than the ice melt I found!

I have a 90 gallon tank w/ 130 gallons total water volume....How long will one bag last? and would it sustain me until the next group buy?

For now put me down for 1 bag, and I will need someone to store for me till I can come pick up.

thanks.

Thanks for putting this together
I'd like to do 4 please

Oh BTW I could pik up, store and distribute down this way if that helps anyone!

Last edited:
Troubleman said:
I have a 90 gallon tank w/ 130 gallons total water volume....How long will one bag last? and would it sustain me until the next group buy?

For now put me down for 1 bag, and I will need someone to store for me till I can come pick up.

thanks.
Bob,
That's almost imposible to answer,
There are so many factors; how heavy aree you stocked?, what with?, how frequent are your water changes? and with what brand salt?, what other dosing or reactor are you running?? ....see my point ?
But a short answer would be ...a long freeking time!

Last edited:
Hi Pat

I'll take the 1 bag again and I can also take a few for the Metro west depends on when the mag arrives.

Thanks a bunch.

>I have a 90 gallon tank w/ 130 gallons total water volume....How long will one bag last? and would it sustain me until the next group buy?<

What Marc said. Remember if you need a little to salt your driveway with you will always have it just in case.

Looks to me like we are heading towards 2 pallets easy. If I were an LFS owner, I'd repack the stuff and sell it. You could even make your own magnesium supplement in a liquid form (balanced with Epsom salts) and bottle it. FWIW, Randy H-F will be writing a new article soon on how to prep a more balanced magnesium supplement for use with his two part calcium dosing liquid. I already calculated it out...should be interesting to see if his calculations come up the same! :D :p

Here's the section from the old thread that describes the prep of the mag supplement for use with Randy's scheme:

If you are using Randy's two (or three part if you include the magnesium part) part calcium and alkalinity supplement, you can correct the minor imbalances in his magnesium supplement by using the magnesium chloride that we will be purchasing. In that case you would want to prep your magnesium supplement to be used with Randy's two part calcium and alkalinity supplement using the following formula:

865 grams MgSO4.7H20 (Epsom salts)
730 grams MgCl2.6H20
plus water to a total volume of 1 gallon

This was discussed in Randy's forum also:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=357172

Hmmmm....if we go to 2 pallets count me in for 5 bags. My neighbors will get a bag 'o MAG for Xmas. :p

One thing to keep in mind folks. If you are storing this stuff for any length of time you will need a sealable bucket. The stuff is still okay to use if it gets wet, but it just becomes a sloppy mess. It will absorb water from the air. If you don't have enough old salt buckets you can get new buckets cheap at HD and elsewhere.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back