Maroon clown damaged

pokerfish

Non-member
I have a maroon clown who has hosted in my huge bubble coral. She hangs out against its underside and her top fin and top part of her body have turned white and seems a bit ragged. Could the coral be stinging the fish and causing some kind of necrosis?

Attachments

• ED5604F9-07AB-445E-89EF-100222147350.jpeg
    ED5604F9-07AB-445E-89EF-100222147350.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 299
  • B286F5D4-D282-49B1-956B-03DCB1808533.jpeg
    B286F5D4-D282-49B1-956B-03DCB1808533.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 298
I’m worried that her attachment to the coral is a fatal one. I had an anemone at one point but she wouldn’t budge. My tank was too immature to support the anemone but she wasn’t interested. I’ve had her two years now and maybe could try another anemone. I doubt it would work though. I would consider giving her to a good home if anyone has a safe spot for her.

Are you seeing any black dots on her which resemble Hyper-Melanization?

It could be damage from the coral, but I would expect to see black spots on the body as well.

I don’t think there are black spots. I will take a closer look when lights go on but it’s more like a burn. The tail is def ragged and it’s possible the fish is stressed. I don’t notice her being picked on but she doesn’t dominate her space the way I expected a Maroon clown to do. My former clowns ( oscellaris pair) would attack my hand every water change. This one retreats. She’s mostly only out for feedings and hangs under bubble coral otherwise. It’s possible she’s being picked on by blue tang. But I don’t see it. They don’t interact much with lights on but tang has run of the tank.

No sign of black spots. One of her eyes is bubbled and the other seems glazed over. The fish comes out when I approach the tank and isn’t harassed by my blue tang or either of my two green chromis. I should test my parameters but I’m curious if anyone recognizes this as a known disease?

No sign of black spots. One of her eyes is bubbled and the other seems glazed over. The fish comes out when I approach the tank and isn’t harassed by my blue tang or either of my two green chromis. I should test my parameters but I’m curious if anyone recognizes this as a known disease?
If the eye looks cloudy/milky, then it could be an eye infection. Dosing Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) will help with the swelling, but I would dose Erythromycin + Minocycline (in a QT) for the actual infection part.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back