Maxima clam byssal opening

gobyvin

Non-member
Do Maxima’s have a small opening in the mantle underside near the byssal attachment area? I never noticed it before and hope it isn’t injured. While I observe it, it occasionally dilates open and closed slightly.

Yes they do in the wild it is a canal to spray out sand and things you dont see it very often in aquariums but mabye he just got a little sand stuck maximally clams have very small ones that are difficult to see they also use it to shoot out access waist like poop and other unwanted micro organisms

Thank you!!! That explains it. I was in there moving animals, including him yesterday and he had sand land on his mantle (top) that I gently basted off but maybe he got sone inside! Thanks again!

Can I just see a picture just to be sure if it looks like the opening on the left just more open that's completely healthy and fine
Screenshot_20200507-194837_Google.jpg

The opening he’s talking about is not the mouth or the anus of the clam. I think he’s talking about the opening under the clam where the byssal thread attaches to the rocks/substrate.
This is perfectly normal to some extent. If it’s a gaping hole and the clam is not attached to anything, it might be a problem. Pyramid snails love to attack this weak spot of the clam.

@this is me hit the nail on the head. It usually isn’t open there, and initially it scared me a bit. This clam has grown a lot since I got it just over a year ago. I had to move it twice recently due to COVID. It was in my work tank that had to come home. I found two little snails on the shell but I don’t think they were pyramids. I killed them off anyway.

That is the clam. He is very responsive, attached firmly, but the hole is opening further. I had to move him some recently, and he is now under LED and used to be under t-5 and halide. Very close to water’s surface. Now it is in a 180 about 8 inch from surface under a Reefbreeders 48 photon V2 that is turned on pretty strong. 12 hour light cycle with about 4 of that being high intensity. Lights are 4-5 inches from waters surface but there is a cover glass over the tank. This the close placement. Seriotopra around him is growing and colored nice.

That is the hole. It is 4 times bigger than last night. I don’t see snails though. He has been out of the water a bit lately, as I nuked his base rock with kalk paste due to an aiptasia problem that was getting tough and threatening to sting his mantle. I am hoping for the best. Any insight or help greatly appreciated!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back