Maxspect Gyre Vs Jebao Crossflow Vs IceCap 3K Gyre

Curren007K

Non-member
Anyone have any experience with the more affordable alternatives to the maxspect gyre?

I'm looking to switch over my wave makers but really don't want to drop $500 on two pumps and a controller.

I was planning on getting the Ice Cap 2k when it's released so I'm also curious how people feel about their 3k's

I have the 3, I like it, some issues I have are when it starts back up after a water change, it will make a whining noise, it’s fairly quiet, and produces decent flow. It doesn’t really get a lot of flow on the bottom of the tank though.

I've the Ice Cap 3K installed for almost 3 weeks. The flow is great, but it is very loud, I mean crazy loud. I'm eagerly waiting for it break-in and quiet down as I've heard they are supposed to, but the whining noise is HORRIBLE.

For reference
20% is audible, 30% is barely tolerable, 40% is annoying, 50% is disturbing, anything above 50% is unbearable. To be fair, for my tank (4ft., 100g), I won't need more than 50% and 30% is probably enough.

How long did it take other's to quiet down? Maybe I got a bad one?

If it is loud, something is mis aligned inside. Most likely the connection between the motor and the peddle wheels.
There should not be a break in period for noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@dz6t, Thanks for the suggestion. I actually took it apart yesterday and found what I think are cracks in the shafts on both sides. Hopefully a replacement fixes it.

I just finally put salt water in a 90 gallon on Thanksgiving day. I am using an Icecap 3k in it and it is very quite. The tank is just cycling now so I have it running on max and can barely hear it. Maybe I got lucky?

They are suppose to be quite.

Jebao products for me. They have worked great for me with no issues. If they stop working I don't care I'll just buy another one...

An update on my rant, I contacted coralvue and sent them a video of the noise. They promptly sent me a new motor and propellers, so hopefully that does the trick.

When you hook it up again give it a low power break in ( keep it slow ) and keep it on continuous flow without ramping or pulsing. Might help all the tight stuff to loosen up properly

When I can figure out how to post a video I will for the Jabao. My water level in my sump is low so there is some great micro bubbles to show the flow.

Currently I have a CP-40 at 50%.
32bd0b7ff9848b471992874739392928.jpg

3e07d560d17b2512dd71bec11fc798e0.jpg

17f0f1f21670fc825b339041616e1e55.jpg

2640f455cceba77e038b95add3511d83.jpg

Unfortunately the micro bubbles are hard to see in photo... but there is a good 3/4 gyre with some nice random flow on the left bottom.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back