me too A BAD DAY! Suggestions please....

neptune

Non-member
My tank *also* crashed this past week - A very bad day indeed. 3 foot bow front tank 20 years running REEF! My grief is strong... 3 BTAs / mated clown fish / pygmy angel / wrasse / zenia / mushrooms / ++++ I was away on vacation and my in laws came by for daily fish feeding and noticed all the lights were off and all fish dead in one of my 3 tanks. They didn't contact us for 3 days as they thought all was lost. and so NOW everything IS lost. I am closing the doors on this tank. BUT I have a 4 foot REEF tank in my basement and I want to protect this type of catastrophe in the future.... Here is my ask... CAN YOU SHARE INFORMATION ON COSTS / MODEL NAMES / SET UP info on how you put a remote monitoring system on your tank? IF I KNEW the power went out I could have alerted help before the death spiral started? We have a generator for power outages.... so we are set but I need to know that we have a power outage? How do I monitor the tank from a far? What do you do when on vacation to monitor your tanks?

Sorry guys - I am a member...? Just reset my password and it lost my history? Not frequent but I have attended BRS meetings in the past.

Sorry for your lost ,
Apex never let me down if anything goes wrong will send me an email or text .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apex won’t alert you in a power failure but you’ll know if you try to access fusion and you can’t get on, you’ll know you have no power and can alert someone

I think the thing that gets lost in a large reef group is the opportunity to get to know and develop relationships with club members who are close by. It would be helpful if people's location were always visible when they post.

I don't know what your budget is, I have a Yi web cam on my home. It's enough to see what's going on and if it's off chances are the power is off. They also make Wi-Fi power alert plugs i believe. Under a hundred bucks but it sounds like you're interested In something a little more Intuitive??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I think the thing that gets lost in a large reef group is the opportunity to get to know and develop relationships with club members who are close by. It would be helpful if people's location were always visible when they post.

In the old forum your location was right under your avatar if you made it visible or one click away. That's one of the things I miss most about the new forums wish we could get that feature back. I have moderator powers and I can't even find locations of members...

It's goofy. it really should be there. It also may end up stopping the most asked question in the forums "what's your location"

Thank you! No I am looking for low cost alert system. I have someone who can help but they only come once every 24 hours. If I could just look to see the the tank has power that works. IF power is out I can contact emergency help to run my generator... or to reset power from the power board. This has happened three times in 20 years.... this time with devastating effects. All other time I was home and noticed a blown power board etc.

I don't know what your budget is, I have a Yi web cam on my home. It's enough to see what's going on and if it's off chances are the power is off. They also make Wi-Fi power alert plugs i believe. Under a hundred bucks but it sounds like you're interested In something a little more Intuitive??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I am in Bedford NH... I am a frequent customer at Fish Mikes and Jays! But like Boston Reefers and would like to join more meetings and learn! Maybe at an upcoming meeting everyone can share how they care for fish while on vacation? I think this has been a topic already done but with new technology it is still relevant. I have a battery operated air bubbler (not set up!) to try and buy a few hours in the event the power goes out and I am a few hours away.. BUT I NEED TO know power is out!!

i will show up if u add it to ur profile but u have to click the persons avatar

Oh didn't know that... I might be confusing my desire to see post counts without clicking on the avatar... I'm still recovering from working the storm :rolleyes:

You sound like you know the apex controller - how often does the apex controller go down and power is still on but the system itself needs to be rebooted? I remember learning of apex before.. it monitors temp / salinity / ca / right? I thought about controllers before but my freaken tanks became so stable (20+years) that I just didn't feel I needed it. Other ideas.. these are two good options. Anyone want to give me a rough price quote for an apex? I will start googling.

Apex won’t alert you in a power failure but you’ll know if you try to access fusion and you can’t get on, you’ll know you have no power and can alert someone

The webcam is the cheapest route. Uses internet you all-ready have. If power/internet goes out you will look like you lost power and someone could check the tank.

Apex can run 150-200 for the Jr. 250+ for the newer versions that run the Fusion app.

I am vacationing in April and plan on meeting up with a couple local reefers for assistance before I leave.

the Apex jr is $240...the classic is $550, the newest one is $750-$800.....web cam would work

the Apex jr is $240...the classic is $550, the newest one is $750-$800.....web cam would work

WowZers. I guess I was thinking second hand prices. Thanks for the price update... I gotta start saving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use fusion and have the heartbeat function set up it will alert you via email if your Apex goes offline for any reason. You might be able to set it up to text you as well

Here is a link to a short video showing how to set it up for those who don't know.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back