Miracle Mud

No personal experience but a metethod that I'm looking to implement has Reefers removing it as it breaks down there's elevated levels of time and aluminum that leeches out supposedly.

I put it in my tank when I first started it and it was an awful silt that took forever to settle and everything was covered in it. I had it in the fuge section of my sump and everytime I did anything it would stir back up and cover everything in silt. It was a lot like the consistency of detritus when it builds up in the corners of the sump. I ended up getting the wet dry vac out after 6 months of dealing with it.
Others rave about it but from my experience I would not do it.

I bought mud from Florida pets that seems to not be as bad. I keep it in trays in the fuge so it’s easy to remove. Take a look into that

I have it in a bucket in my fuge. 5lbs. Getting ready to add more it's been 6 months. Bucket sits on 90 pounds reguluar sand, 15 lbs rock and cheato. Maybe that's why everything in my tank grows like weeds. Frags I cut last week look like mini colonies already. I'm not sure. But I do believe it has added stability to tank. No issues with silt. Covered while placing it in. My system a bit bigger than yours. Not by much tho. One of the old timers uses it as deep sand bed. I'll try in find video.

Wonder if it comes from the 80% collected or the 20% added?
Not sure, but I know of quite a lot of people that are seeing elevated levels of tin and aluminum and their ATI tests show those decreasing after removing the mud.

On the other hand, Fiji mud by Walt Smith is a natural mud in the ocean. It was supposedly harvested from a mud pool in Fiji.

Anything with words like miracle in the name is highly suspect to me. Stick with the tried and true. If you really want a flats ecosystem for a refugium, use oolitic fine aragonite sands, maybe kick it off with an order of live mud from a tropical collector.

I used it as a substrate to plant mangroves in. It works well for that. The mangroves do better than just anchored under some rocks. I did not notice any change in water quality or stability.

I also have elevated levels of tin and aluminum from miracle mud. Guess I know what's on my to-do list for tomorrow arghhhh.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back