Moorish idol and coral

Bostoncoral

BRS Member
Hi folks. Thinking about selling all my lps or meaty corals so i can get a pair, or trio of moorish idols for my 300 DD reef tank and add more sps too. Ive had 2 moorish idols in the past, and I know how hard they are to get to eat, and how skittish they can be with other fish. Ill be removing my beloved yellow tang if i get the idols, and qt the idols before they go in my main tank. All other tank mates shouldnt be an issue. The longest ive had a moorish idol was close to a year. Mainly sps in the tank then, but he ate my pectinia and trumpets stuff like that. I have a fair amount of sps in my tank now and not sure if i should be worried. Has anyone had any experience w idols in a reef tank, and if so, what were the corals they nipped at? The idols ive had, never touched my euphillia, or zoas...I'm hoping that would be the case if i decide to move forward w the idols. Any thoughts or advice? (Not looking for ppl to tell me they shouldnt be anywhere besides the wild)
20210113_195822_HDR~2.jpg

If you keep them well fed, they might leave your corals alone. I had one for 5-6 years in a soft coral tank, and he stopped eating my corals once I upped his feedings to 5-6x daily (small meals). They will usually eat pellets and flake food (via auto feeder), and of course nori once they've adjusted to your aquarium. However, they really enjoy live blackworms, whiteworms, clam or mussel on the half shell, PE mysis, etc.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back