More wierd stuff

Piscevore

elsewhere
A friend of my gave me around 40 lbs of live rock. It was in a 55 gal tank that had a lot of fine hair algae growing in it when I arrived. The tank was being neglected because it was "empty" and was being taken apart. All the fish died because it was overloaded and had a hellatious cycle. This was a case of LFS giving all the wrong info.

Step in me, I showed up, 2-3 of the rocks were just covered in the same algae, but I could just pull it right off. The rest looked very good. I tested the water, 0 ammo 0 nitrite, salinity was a little high 1.028 SG. I'm digging around in there, cleaning up the rocks, and a clown fish swims out. Followed closely by a Damselfish. Note, this tank hasn't had -any- attention paid to it, nevermind food, etc. For at least 3 weeks. I put all the rock in my backpack and put the fish in a mason jar (was not anticipating this).

So If anyone wants a Clown or a Yellow Damsel, they are living in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater, penguin power filter, air pump, and a big hunk of live rock.

Now, to the question: I've got the 40 lbs of LR in a rubbermaid tote, with a power head and heater, curing. I saw THIS when I was inpecting and cleaning one of the rocks today!! I have an eerie feeling it isn't good.
I also have these wormy looking calcium tube deposits on some of the rocks, which again, I have an eeerie feeling aren't any good. Thoughts?

Attachments

• wierd.jpg
    wierd.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 381
The green metalic balls are commonly called Valonia algae, but that form is probably Ventricaria ventricosa.

Pluck 'em off the rock when you can: they can get big.

There are supposed to be critters that'll prune them for you. Maybe the others can point out a few. Once thiose things start, they'll keep popping up.

Last edited:
Cool. I kinda figured they weren't good. The rocks are in quarantine right now, seperate from my main tank. I'm going to very carefully pluck these things off and probably give the rock a good scrubbing after.

Why is this in the BRS Marketplace forum? are you selling bubble algae? :p

Who are the moderators here? Someone move this to the "general forum" eerrr "Boston Reefers Society local talk forum....

Emerald crabs will eat them, and while they are considered to be a 'nuisance algae' they aren't really 'bad' for the tank. There are a couple fish that eat them also, I want to say butterfly species, but I don't remember off hand.

Hmmm....

They are the one nuisance organism I have in my tank... Perhaps I should get an Emerald crab? Will the crab really go for them?

Matt:cool:

If you can take the rock out the tank, take a knife and scrape off the rock the the bubble is attached to. DONT POP the bubble. If you do, give the rock a good rinse.

My emerald is always busy picking at the sand, the rocks, the mag-float. But never, ever, ever the two little valonia bubbles I've got. I mean, this guys claws are clearly adapted precisely to eat these little spheres, and he walks right past them, hungrily scraping miniscule specs off the rock! :mad: :confused:

If you guys scroll down a bit in that message, you'll see that I've got a YT Damsel and a Clown (unknown, Perc or Oscellaris) in a bucket that I'd like to give to anyone who has something -better- than a bucket to put them in.... (hence the critter 4 sale posting)

I'm hoping someone would like to give them a home

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back