Mosquito Spraying Tonight!

hurdbird

BRS Member
Mosquito spraying tonight 8PM to 3AM by airplane. They have issued warnings that it could kill outdoor fish ponds so I’d suggest closing your windows and plugging off outdoor air intakes to your tanks!

B2304D4B-09D7-4054-98BB-00B0CE4AEA3D.jpeg

Sounds healthy! Must be no side effects to anything else in the area.o_O
They said close your windows, shut off air conditioning, but not to worry about pets, lol. They live better than me, so wit that said, AC is on and doggos are snuggling up with me.

Found this on Mass.gov:

What pesticide product would be used in the aerial spraying?
The pesticide used is called Anvil 10+10, a product extensively tested and used in both ground-level and aerial spraying in the U.S. to control mosquitoes. Anvil 10+10 contains two ingredients: Sumithrin and Piperonyl butoxide. Sumithrin is an ingredient similar to the natural components of the chrysanthemum flower which is also found in other pesticide products used indoors, in pet shampoos, and tick control treatments. Sumithrin is rapidly inactivated and decomposes with exposure to light and air, with a half-life of less than one day in the air and on plants. In soil, it degrades rapidly and has proven to be extremely effective in killing mosquitoes worldwide for over 20 years. Piperonyl butoxide (PBO) serves to increase the ability of Sumithrin to kill mosquitoes. The product is registered by EPA and in Massachusetts for this use. It was used in previous aerial applications for mosquito control (2006, 2010, 2012). It is also used by some of the Mosquito Control Projects for ground applications.

Can these targeted ground and aerial sprays with adulticides harm insects or wildlife?
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has evaluated these pesticides for their safety and has determined that they do not pose an unreasonable risk to birds or mammals, if used according to the product label directions.

Anvil and other similar pesticides are toxic to land-dwelling and water-dwelling invertebrates (e.g., dragonflies, beetles) and to fish. There is less risk to fish in larger ponds than in smaller ones and the risks to large natural water bodies are minimal. However, people may want to cover a small ornamental fish pond in their yard during the night of spraying.

I think that if a tank was on your porch, this spraying would be a considerable risk.

If it killed ticks, I would be all in.

I'm by Myles Standish, no issues here. From what I can tell they do this every year without issue's. With trippe E, and who know's what elae at this point I hope they keep ontop of it.

I have a 1500 gallon koi pond and just saw this...I had no adverse effects without doing anything

Although my hyancinth is out of control, anyone want any before I toss more?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back