Mounting Cold Cathode Moon Lights

RichConley

Attack of the Killer Cute
I dont have a canopy, just an open top, and a hanging MH pendant. Any ideas on how to rig something to mount these??

Since they're so narrow it shouldn't be too hard to stick them somewhere. Could you put them on the back side of your pendant with a small aluminum flashing reflector?

Or how about building a small black acrylic box that attaches to the front rim of the tank, and holds the CC tube a couple inches above the water surface?

It's just for moonlighting right? I think they'll be plenty bright. They seem a lot brighter than the LEDs that many folks use.

still trying to get em mounted...

not real high priority right now. I had my bro bring over an old power supply from a PC...turns out it was dead.

I was thinking of cutting PVC pipe so that it was cut in half lengthwise and putting that mirrored sticky stuf (mylar maybe?) on it, and using that as a reflector. I'd leave the ends of the PVC uncut, because the endcaps on teh cathode tubes seem to fit snugly into 3/4 ": pvc

They probably will work in a 20L. FWIW, I tried them in my 24" deep 120g and was rather sad they didn't work out. I thought I found the killer moon lights. I have two for $10 if anybody wants them.

I also have an AT (old style) PC power supply that runs them just fine. It's available for another $10. Paid $29 last Fall and keep meaning to sell this stuff on eBay. I think its a variable 220w power supply with a fan.

well....I put em on, and was like..these arent bad, but theyre lighting up half my room. So I took a piece of 3/4" pvc and cut it in half lenghtwise and used it as a reflector...now theyre too bright to be moonlights. Although they actually do a pretty good job as actinics, althought once my MH's kick on, htey dissapear.

I did some research, and these things can put out in the range of 50 lumens per watt, which is pretty impressive, considering that MH puts out aroudn 100, and fluoros put out around 15 if I remember correctly.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back