Moving - advice needed

As hot as summer can get, even a mile down the road, time filling, transporting and getting around to unloading can really add up. Especially if you're using dark colored brutes. Keep an eye on temps..

I've moved a couple tanks and never changed out the sand bed. A 220, a 180 and a 60 cube. I did make sure to remove as much water as possible to avoid sloshing, and covered it to avoid debris/contamination.

Worst thing that happened to me during a tank move is a few guys were providing labor and didn't understand that the plumbing on a drilled tank is sacred. They managed to break off the threaded bulk head! Pay close attention to protecting your fittings if your tank is drilled.

As hot as summer can get, even a mile down the road, time filling, transporting and getting around to unloading can really add up. Especially if you're using dark colored brutes. Keep an eye on temps..

I've moved a couple tanks and never changed out the sand bed. A 220, a 180 and a 60 cube. I did make sure to remove as much water as possible to avoid sloshing, and covered it to avoid debris/contamination.

Worst thing that happened to me during a tank move is a few guys were providing labor and didn't understand that the plumbing on a drilled tank is sacred. They managed to break off the threaded bulk head! Pay close attention to protecting your fittings if your tank is drilled.
Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to wrap the tank in bubble wrap so no one gets any funny ideas.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Went to the new house yesterday to figure out furniture and tank placement. Only areas to put my tank are not ideal...Anyone ever put a tank on carpet, it screams bad idea to me...

Mine is on carpet. Is the stand flat bottomed or framed?
Normally the carpet will crush down to the floor making it solid. Just stay 3-4 inches away from the wall so you’re not on top of the tackless strip holding the carpet.

I'm gonna build a new framed stand I think. the cheap one it come with might fall apart once moved.

How about the salt water dripping on carpet every now and again has it ruined that area?

Not yet but it definitely will over time. Good news is carpet should be replaced every 5 years

Mine is on fairly flat carpet. Well, it's really flat under the stand I'm sure, but it's not plush elsewhere, it's cheap berber type.

I have my Biocube on one of those computer chair plastic mat so I don’t ruin the carpet works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not a bad idea with the computer chair plastic. I'm thinking I'm going to cut some 4 mil plastic to go around the tank. Anytime I'm working on it I'll roll the plastic out.

If it wasn't obvious, the downside is if you have to move the carpet for any reason the tank will have to be drained, and salt creep will eventually destroy your carpet.

They sell drain pans at plumbing stores. Like to sit your washer in. This would be nice insurance. They also sell rubber membrain that is ment for shower pans. Make a wood frame and line with rubber. An 1 1/2 deep over a hole tank is quite a bit of protection

The move was not a fail but not a complete success either. I got lucky and the day time temps were around 78. Everything sat in totes for almost 9 hours unfortunately. nothing was lost in the totes but my big purple Digi colony broke into a few pieces. That got me in the feels a bit.

Biggest things I took from the move and I'm sure atleast a couple of these were talked about already.

1. wish I had a furniture dolly to move totes around on.

2. should have had more towels then just 3 lol.

3. wear swim trunks.

4 put plastic down over all floors where your walking if possible. water drips everywhere no matter how careful you are.

5. plan for the move to take up an entire day no matter how small of a tank.

I ended up keeping sand as I ran out of time and decided to risk it. so far no issues. protein skimmer and cuc working overtime but no alagea issues.

Also Glad I had a good pair of reef safe gloves.

Back