MrX's Build (Started 03/01/2020)

OMFG Amazon/Inkbird... how hard is it to ship me the controller I ordered?!?!

A I posted a couple days ago my Inkbird controller (came with the tank) crapped the bed during the crazy windstorm and subsequent power outage. The buttons to control the settings (up/down) don't work.

I figured this was a perfect excuse to order the ITC-306A WiFi that a couple other members (@afboundguy to name one) have posted about.

Amazon. Prime. Easy peasy. Ordered. Would be here this past Wednesday.

It arrives, I open it up to install it. I start to unwind the wires and I'm like WTH is this?!? There's a plastic box at the end of the sensor cable. It's a humidity probe.

I look at the box; it says right on the side "Humidity". But there's a sticker (probably put there by Amazon) that says ITC-306A.

2021-03-03 006.JPG

2021-03-03 008.JPG

Alright, stuff happens, boxes get labeled with the wrong sticker.

I log on and start the return/replacement. No big deal except for the fact that now I have to wait another 2 days to get the replacement.

Meanwhile my tank is running a couple degrees warmer than normal for the last few days. Was even higher for a couple days until I unplugged one heater and dialed in the other a little better.

Replacement just showed up... IT'S THE WRONG ONE AGAIN!!!!!

But it's a little closer this time. It's actually a temperature probe this time; but it's got the METAL probe and not the two aquarium probes. This is the ITC-306T-WIFI. (Basically the newer WIFi version of the dead one I have.)

Same issue as the other box; the side says "temperature probe w/5' cord" but the label (stuck over another label) says ITC-306A.
IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

After telling me they couldn't replace it and mumbling something about maybe I could get it fixed I was about to blow my top.

I restated what happened again, and the call center rep went to talk to his supervisor.

He finally came back and told me they'd refund my money and send me a prepaid label to send this one back. Then I could order it again.

Yeah, sure... I'll drive to the UPS store again because of screw ups on your side. No thanks.

He put me on hold again, came back, and told me to dispose of the "broken" replacement. (What?!?!?) He said they were refunding my payment and I could keep/dispose the one they sent today. Again, he said something about trying to get it fixed.

When I asked him if I'd get the right one if I tried ordering again he told me try another seller. The only seller was Inkbird. I told him I'd contact them and ask what was going on. His response was that they'd just tell me to contact Amazon.

First world problems I know, but very frustrating.

Tank is just chugging along; dealing with some uglies... I think I overfeed. I could do testing, but... meh.

Banggai Cardinal appears to be holding eggs again. Hasn't eaten in a few days and the female is sticking pretty close by (except when she eats).

Carpenter's Wrasse and the Foxface like to play. They kinda follow each other around like they are playing tag. If the chaser quits the chased turns around and starts following them.

One of the new additions to the tank is a Green-spotted Mandarin. We got this one 2-3 weeks ago and it appears to be doing great. I built a @Paul B spot feeder which it took to almost immediately. I hatch baby brine using the hatchery bowl and feed from there over 2-3 days. I'm also feeding ArctiPods which the Mandarin seems to eat as well.

Also bought some more clean-up crew including a variety of snails and a Florida Fighting Conch.

Lastly, bought some Berghia Nudibranchs. Of course FedEx had to delay the package. Got lucky and only 1 of the 14 didn't make it. Now hopefully they colonize and help with the aptasia problem. :( :mad:

2021-03-11 001.JPG

2021-03-26 004.JPG

2021-03-19 006.JPG

2021-03-19 009.JPG

Not a lot going on with the tank. Going through some uglies... could test and try to figure out the issue, but I'm lazy.

Can't tell if the Berghia are doing anything. Keeping an eye on an aptasia that was close to where I put them in. It's still there. :(

Don't wanna jinx myself, but I think the Berghia Nudibranchs have done their job. I don't see any Aptasia anywhere in the tank. And there were some pretty big ones in the back.

I tried to look for the Nudis about an hour after lights out but had not luck. I did however find a Stomatella Snail! Not even sure where it came from, but cool beans.

Finally got the last Nem split a new home, so was able to take out the acclimation box.

This past Sunday I did my bi-weekly water change and then moved the newest frags off the frag rack to their "final" homes. While trying to get my new Roman Candle Galaxia off the frag plug it split into two pieces (about 1/3rd and then 2/3rds). I tried to glue them together on a piece of rubble rock. This morning I found one part missing... it had fallen onto another rock, right-side up, and seems to be very happy there. I'm going to leave it alone and hope it latches on and grows there.

My first torch was looking like there was too much flow, so I turned the Jebao Gyres down to 2-3 and moved it to the edge of a cave. It seems much happier today.

2021-05-26 011.JPG

2021-05-26 012.JPG

2021-05-26 014.JPG

2021-05-26 015.JPG

2021-05-26 016.JPG

2021-05-26 017.JPG

2021-05-26 020.JPG

2021-05-26 021.JPG

2021-05-26 022.JPG

2021-05-26 023.JPG

Screwed my back up about 10 days ago. Water change skipped due to being barely able to move.

Hopefully new meds resolve things over the next few days. If not I'm going to have to consider selling... MrsX and KidsX like the tank, but not enough to take over water lugging duties.

Have you considered getting an AWC? Still need to lug salt to the mixing barrels, but no more buckets of water.

Have you considered getting an AWC? Still need to lug salt to the mixing barrels, but no more buckets of water.
Yeah, but I'd have to open the wall again, which I don't want to do.

Will see what happens over the next week before my next follow-up; then I'll know more and make some decisions.

Maybe I can threaten or bribe SonX to do it in more trips. (I was doing two HD buckets full each trip. 2 trips out to the street, and then two trips up from the basement.)

It’s 2021. No one should have to consider giving up because they need to carry buckets out to the street for waterchange.
At the very least, a long hose and a pump do wonders.
Routine maintenance like waterchange should be planned for in the initial set up and cost. AWC/CWC is an effective way and doesn’t require much in the initial phase of the set up.
Go to Amazon and order as much 1/4” vinyl tunings as you need to run it out to your dump site. A Maxijet1200 can pump up the 8’ headroom from the basement(it’ll be slow, but it will pump).
This is about the most lamest excuse to get out. If you don’t feel for the hobby anymore, fine. But getting out because of water changes is not acceptable with all is available today.

It’s 2021. No one should have to consider giving up because they need to carry buckets out to the street for waterchange.
At the very least, a long hose and a pump do wonders.
Routine maintenance like waterchange should be planned for in the initial set up and cost. AWC/CWC is an effective way and doesn’t require much in the initial phase of the set up.
Go to Amazon and order as much 1/4” vinyl tunings as you need to run it out to your dump site. A Maxijet1200 can pump up the 8’ headroom from the basement(it’ll be slow, but it will pump).
This is about the most lamest excuse to get out. If you don’t feel for the hobby anymore, fine. But getting out because of water changes is not acceptable with all is available today.
I have my manifold set up to connect a garden hose adapter; initial plan was to maybe use that to drain (some) water. I'd still have to hook up a pump to get at enough water from the DT. Not to mention like 50-75 feet of hose (both to get to the street, and up from the basement). Either way, I'm still lugging stuff around.

Using a 1/4" tube would take forever to do a 20G water change (again from the DT to the street, and then half way across the basement, up the stairs, and to the DT). I'm not looking to set up a CWC.

Input is appreciated, I just don't understand why you have to be so snarky all the time. I should be used to it by now...

1/4” should be 1/2” tubing. I have used 100’ roll and mj1200 to do water change. Much better than using buckets….
Do and feel whatever you must. But didn’t you just complain that you have nothing to do on the reef tank since the set up is done and feeling bored because you’re in the waiting for corals to grow phase? Maybe should’ve thought about a better waterchange routine. Just saying…

Sorry to hear about your injury x. You probably have more to worry about than reef maintenance right now. I hope you find a simple solution. It’s out there. Feel better. Keep the faith.

Was looking in the tank and noticed one of the Pandora polyps had ejected itself from the little rock island I have them on (away from the main rockwork so they don't spread everywhere). I scooped it out and was going to toss it, but then I decided just to glue it to another small piece of rock.

Funny, I was just saying to SonX the other day that it looked like some of the polyps were stretching, trying to find something else to grow onto.

It came off this rock. And was just up and to the right near the main rock:

2021-06-17 001.JPG

2021-06-17 002.JPG

2021-06-17 003.JPG

Back