MrX's Build (Started 03/01/2020)

Some more details and pictures from my Zoanthids.com "Live Sale" haul.

Everything came really well packaged (Foam cooler, heat packs, awesome little containers with float discs, etc.)

I chose to have it delivered today (sale was Sunday, so two days later). As of about 11:30am this morning I still hadn't received a tracking number. I checked the R2R thread and no one else was reporting any issues. So I dialed the phone number on their website. Two rings and Brandon picked up (he owns the company).

Told him I hadn't received a tracking #; two minutes later he had it for me. We spent a few minutes talking about the overall sale, how it all went, etc. Then we talked about where they were located; I thought he was in NC because of the phone #, but they are actually in UT. Was one of the only phone #s they could get with ZOA in the "name". lol.

Awesome experience with their live sale! Will definitely hit them up again in the future.

Everything is on the frag rack, which has been moved down near the sand. Everything is mostly open (I've moved the rack a couple times so they are still a little mad).

IMG_20200630_120651.jpg

IMG_20200630_121739.jpg

IMG_20200630_121742.jpg

IMG_20200630_121846.jpg

IMG_20200630_121851.jpg

MVIMG_20200630_135719.jpg

MVIMG_20200630_135724--2.jpg

MVIMG_20200630_162402.jpg

While I'm updating my thread, I owe a shout-out to @wcj_ink -- picked up some Solar Flares and a Red Dragon from him about a week ago. All three are doing great so far.

IMG_20200630_162411.jpg

IMG_20200630_162421.jpg

I really like how they're all clearly and individually labelled. That is so helpful.

Reactions: MrX
Some more details and pictures from my Zoanthids.com "Live Sale" haul.

Everything came really well packaged (Foam cooler, heat packs, awesome little containers with float discs, etc.)

I chose to have it delivered today (sale was Sunday, so two days later). As of about 11:30am this morning I still hadn't received a tracking number. I checked the R2R thread and no one else was reporting any issues. So I dialed the phone number on their website. Two rings and Brandon picked up (he owns the company).

Told him I hadn't received a tracking #; two minutes later he had it for me. We spent a few minutes talking about the overall sale, how it all went, etc. Then we talked about where they were located; I thought he was in NC because of the phone #, but they are actually in UT. Was one of the only phone #s they could get with ZOA in the "name". lol.

Awesome experience with their live sale! Will definitely hit them up again in the future.

Everything is on the frag rack, which has been moved down near the sand. Everything is mostly open (I've moved the rack a couple times so they are still a little mad).

View attachment 143923
View attachment 143924
View attachment 143925
View attachment 143926
View attachment 143927
View attachment 143928
View attachment 143929
View attachment 143930
killer package

Added some new fish to the tank today: Yellow-Eye Kole Tang, a Pygmy Angel (so small and cute!), and a Carpenter's Wrasse.

The Pygmy is hanging out in the rockwork on the right side of the tank (where most of the Anthias hang out).

The Wrasse was hanging out next to/under the frag rack (which is down near the sand on the right side of the tank while I light acclimate all the new corals) but I don't know where it is now.

The poor Kole Tang is being harassed by the Yellow. I know it's just "newbie" territory stuff, but it's hard to watch. May try the mirror trick to see what happens.

Will post pictures later tonight.

Here's some pictures of the new comers:

Kole Eye Tang

IMG_20200704_151208.jpg

Carpenter's Wrasse (still haven't see it since these pictures yesterday)

MVIMG_20200704_150728.jpg

Pygmy Angel (best picture I could get yesterday)

MVIMG_20200704_150758.jpg

So I've said a couple times in this new build thread that I'm trying to keep things simple and enjoy the tank more. Today I made a simple 'thing' that might help with that a little.

The tank is in my office at home where I spend most of my time (even more so now with Covid-19 and working from home). But my back is to the tank. So to try and be able to see it more I threw this together:

The base piece is actually part of an old treasure chest toybox we had for DaughterX (she's 16 now) and SonX; I think we've had it around for about 14 years.

The piece was already rounded as you see, so I just cut it down some. Then I used the table saw to put the channel to hold the mirror. On one side the channel is just straight (no angle), on the other side I set the blade at 5 degrees.

The mirror I had has beveled edges so it already tilts back a bit. Now I can flip the base over a little if needed to adjust.

I originally bought the mirror, just yesterday, to try and get my Yellow Tang to stop picking on the new Kole Eye Tang (introduced yesterday). The mirror did not seem to work, so now it has a new use.

The Yellow is still picking on the newcomer, but it actually seems to have calmed down a little. Hoping by tomorrow, day 3, that it's all settled.

Funny, because the Kole is a little bigger than the yellow and could probably kick its butt.

Watching them swim sort of near each other now in my new mirror setup. :)

MVIMG_20200705_193155.jpg

IMG_20200705_193232.jpg

This morning I saw a cleaner shrimp feeler tentacle sticking out of the gyre pump. First thought was that the shrimp got curious and lost a feeler. Found out later when I went to pull it out that the shrimp molted last night... the rest of the molt was attached to the feeler that was sticking out. Grow shrimp grow!

Loving the mirror on my desk. Allows me to check out the tank every so often while I'm working. I noticed today that the Yellow Tang has worked out (most of) its issues with the new Kole Tang.

It also helped me realize that the Carpenters Wrasse was out earlier this morning. Took about two days but it was finally swimming out in the open. Even better, I saw it eating when I fed the tank!

Tonight I think we found out where the Wrasse was hiding. On the right-hand side of the tank there is an overhang/shelf piece of rock just off the sand bed. Looks like its hiding in there; it blends in so well it just looks like a darker shadow.

MVIMG_20200707_213002 - Arrow.jpg

MrsX and KidsX have told me I must share this list of the fish and their names. Please note, MrX does not condone, nor does he partake of, naming fish. Here they are in order of tank introduction:

2x Picasso Clownfish - Cora and Rona
2x Banggai Cardinals - Curtis and Snertis
Yellow Tang - Sunny (after the friendly owner of a local small-town grocery store)
Orchid Dottyback - Monica Lewinsky
Sharknose Goby - Bolivia
5x Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias- The Beatles and Yoko Ono
Lemon Clown Goby - Gibby
Yellow Watchman Goby - Swatch
Skunk cleaner shrimp - Mr. Shrimpy
Yellow-Eye Kole Tang - Koleslaw
Pygmy Angel - Skin-tee
Carpenter's Wrasse - Don

Some other pics:

IMG_20200707_142200.jpg

MVIMG_20200707_141914 - Copy.jpg

MVIMG_20200707_141947 - Copy.jpg

MVIMG_20200707_142014 - Copy.jpg

MVIMG_20200707_142100.jpg

MVIMG_20200707_142116.jpg

Kryptonite really starting to come back to life:
MVIMG_20200707_142426.jpg

Last edited:
Man I miss having a carpenters wrasse those things are sweet especially if you have a few. Tank is looking better and better can't wait to see it once everything grows out more and more!

Reactions: MrX
Man I miss having a carpenters wrasse those things are sweet especially if you have a few. Tank is looking better and better can't wait to see it once everything grows out more and more!

I was thinking the other day that I have to keep my eyes open and see if I can find another. Pretty sure this one is male, so I have to find him a lady friend.

If memory serves me right (which right now it might not) they can change sexes so if you get them small enough they'll stay female...

New AI Hydra 32HD came today. I have two, so this would have brought me up to three.

Unfortunately, it looks like Amazon / Salt Water Aquarium sent me a used one.

The security seal was cut and there are marks on the light that look almost like salt splashes/dried water. The cords look like someone wrapped them up and put them back.

Within 5 minutes of getting it I was on the phone with Amazon customer support and returning it.

Ridiculous.

Purchased a bonded pair of Hi-Fin Red Banded Gobies and a Red Banded Pistol Shrimp from Diver's Den. To get the free shipping I also purchased an Aussie short-tentacle Plate coral (from DD) and a Tiger Pistol Shrimp from Live Aquaria.

My plan was to try and pair the Tiger Pistol with my Yellow Watchman Goby.

It was all supposed to show up today. The DD stuff arrived on time, but the Tiger Pistol was "Delayed by Mechanical Problems" twice -- once in CA, and again in KY.

My UPS driver (awesome guy) diverted his usual route and brought the package to me. Everything looked alive so I began the acclimation procedure (lights down, float, drip, introduce, etc.).

The gobies went into the tank first after acclimation -- left, front-side of the tank. They stayed right next to each other while I grabbed the shrimp container to move it into the tank. By the time I stood up the female goby had disappeared; the male was still there.

So I placed the shrimp container (little specimen cup) on its side next to the male goby. The goby immediately moved to the shrimp and waggled its tail as if to say "Welcome back little buddy".

The shrimp seemed sluggish, but was moving. To be expected after transport.

Meanwhile, DaughterX found the female goby in the rocks on the left side of the tank. Perfect, that's where I was hoping they'd make a "home".

The male was sort of nudging/guiding the shrimp in that direction. After about 30 minutes (long time to move 12") the shrimp got to the cave where the female was hiding and went in. I was so excited!

The male hung out outside the cave (which is about in the middle, front-to-back, of the tank) and more towards the back corner.

When I fed the tank about 4pm I saw the male grab a few pieces. More good news.

Fast forward to about 9pm, and I see the shrimp outside the cave. Barely looks like it's moving. I watch for a while and it starts to get blown around by the current. *sigh* It's dead already.

RIP little shrimp, we hardly knew ya!

I hope the Tiger Pistol shows up tomorrow and that it fares better.

Any additional tips for acclimation greatly appreciated!

Tiger Pistol Shrimp arrived today. Once again, my awesome UPS driver helped out. He texted me and met me when he got to town to hand off the package.

After acclimation, same as yesterday, but a little longer, the Tiger Pistol is in the tank.

In the video below you can see where he started. It was about two inches from the Yellow Watchman Goby. About an hour later I looked in and they had found each other. Woot!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back