My auction frags

Edin508

Non-member
These are the frags I got at the auction. Not exactly sure what they all are but they seem to be doing pretty well. This 32 biocube was empty of corals prior to the auction and it is looking much better now. If you notice anything in the pics feel free to comment. Some things maybe needing more light etc..
90FEF38E-FBB3-4132-934D-28DD0F731A25.jpeg
30367A8A-E7AD-42DB-B393-8AC67509610B.jpeg
48C2EDF3-2918-4435-96FB-D4059F8B6D4C.jpeg
11365961-9D6C-4374-A20A-869D26694FFB.jpeg
32D157C1-33B7-4558-B2E6-D968F383A1A5.jpeg

I don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but if it were me I would take all of those corals out. I say that only from my personal experience with them. The first pic is a Kenya tree that will release little branches all over your tank. The second looks like a toadstool leather which may be ok, but are known to release toxins that can be harmful to other corals. Third pic looks like toadstool again and maybe Xenia on top, which is prob the least desired coral in reef tanks due to spreads everywhere and can overtake your display. And lastly looks like you have some green plays in there which just be careful of palytoxin from them, they may be fine, just be careful is all.

What direction are you looking to go in the future? Everyone has different taste in coral sps/lps/zoas/softies so if you are going for a soft coral tank you are off to a good beginning but beware they will grow quick and eat up real estate on your rocks so I wouldn't wait to long to add other soft corals (gsp, shrooms zoas, green leather, etc). How old is the tank? As far as light they are not to demanding.

Welcome to reefing. My tank is pretty much all soft corals. Kenya tree corals will drop babies, but its not a big deal to pull them out if you don't like that. It really all depends on what you like.

What kind of lighting are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock led is good enough for these soft coral.

I disagree with jdeb101. If you are just getting started, these corals are a good place to start. For longer term, if you don’t want to spend a lot of money, these are good corals. They don’t really require special high end lights, they don’t use a lot of calcium, so it is easier to keep your water parameters in line and once they get bigger, they are very impressive. I have a 46 bow front with mostly softies. I started out with a similar assortment and have added mushrooms, zoas, and other softies. My tank has been running around 7 years now and I love it.

I disagree with jdeb101. If you are just getting started, these corals are a good place to start. For longer term, if you don’t want to spend a lot of money, these are good corals. They don’t really require special high end lights, they don’t use a lot of calcium, so it is easier to keep your water parameters in line and once they get bigger, they are very impressive. I have a 46 bow front with mostly softies. I started out with a similar assortment and have added mushrooms, zoas, and other softies. My tank has been running around 7 years now and I love it.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with me and I expect it. My post was just to share my personal experience and educate the OP in case they were not aware of the possible downsides to these corals. I agree they certainly are easy, hardy corals that can look beautiful. I have kept all of them in previous tanks and as long as you keep them in check you'll enjoy them!

Only thing your missing now is some green star polyps (GSP)! :p:D

This is a good post. Do Kenya trees grow uncontrollably? Yes, it’s my sons favorite though, I like it too, I put it in a shaded spot to curb its growing. It’s been staying at a perfect size for months. My sons other favorite is his gsp’s lol, he has two different kinds. I take him to a sellers house who had mad acans, frogspawn, hammers, bunch of s**t all colors and sizes. What’s my boy pick out? Yep... gsp’s. Not just one either, two, one has the white little bulbs in it and the other one has neon green bulbs instead of the white. To each his own man.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back