My battle with hair algae.

20gReef

Non-member
So I added G4's over my display a few months ago and the extra light grew some hair algae. Not a lot but a few patches here and there. I then set up a frag tank and moved the G4s over to it as i don't really have any corals in my display at this time. Display has a Aquatic life 4 bulb with 1 AI Prime on the couple corals I do have. So I did some research on how to nip this algae in the butt before it gets out of control.

First I reduced my Lights by 2 hours a day and feeding which I don't like to do but want this Algae gone. No new spots are growing Hair algae just the same spots regrow after i manually pull it out, Maybe 7-8 spots.

Step 1) Purchased 2 Foxfaces and 1 yellow eye Kole tang.

Results* No Change to Hair Algae- Kole tang shows up thin as paper and soon dies. Both Foxfaces are the most useless fish I've ever purchased. The one in main tank has been riding the glass for 2 months straight and doesn't even look at the rocks never-mind graze on them. 2nd one in my frag tank has been hiding in the corner or under the racks for 2 months.

Step 2) Purchase 4 Turbo Snails, A couple more Emerald Crabs, couple Blue Legs, A tuxedo urchin and a Lawnmower Blenny.

Results* No Change to Hair Algae-Turbo snails all ignore hair algae and 1 dies each week. Lawnmower blenny won't eat the Hair algae even if i rip most of it down, he wont touch it. Tuxedo urchin won't eat hair algae but will carry some around with him. Emerald crabs all ignore Hair Algae.

Step 3) Buy another Kole tang because i want one and because they are known to be good grazers

Results* No Change to Hair Algae-Kole Tang like the Blenny refuses to eat Hair Algae but grazes all day.

Testing shows
Phos-.03
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Alk 8.8
Caldium 430

I cant/dont want to remove the rocks to scrub them because where it is would cause my monti cap to break when seperating rocks.

I hate the idea of adding Chemicals to my tank as I believe there has to be a natural way to get rid of the algae.

Who has some ideas for me?

In my experience, snails mow down hair algae. Ive added about 40 snails to new tanks including trochus, astraea, cerith, and margarita.

In my experience, snails mow down hair algae. Ive added about 40 snails to new tanks including trochus, astraea, cerith, and margarita.
I wish that was my experience as well. I have many kinds of snails. Not sure why nothing i get will eat it. But everyone says these things mowed theirs down.

I manually removed as much as I could and did a ton of water changes to lower nutrients when I had it bad ib my old 55 gallon... It's not an easy quick fix but that's my suggestion. If you scrub it off whiles its still in the tank you can then suck as much up as possible right after during the water change..

Dolabella sea hare. I have been battling patches like you are talking about foe 6 months. Tried similar fish, reduced feeding and lighting, increased filtration, tried vibrant and fluconazole. Only thing I did was piss of my corals, algae still there.

Two weeka ago I borrowed a sea hare off another member and it was the best thing I have done. He is slowly devouring all hair algae.

I've read that boiling RO water then use a Turkey baster to squirt it onto the hair algae works. Never tried it but seems like could work. And it's not any chemical added to tank.

I've read that boiling RO water then use a Turkey baster to squirt it onto the hair algae works. Never tried it but seems like could work. And it's not any chemical added to tank.
This I could try. I'll try to do it later today and post results.

Dolabella sea hare. I have been battling patches like you are talking about foe 6 months. Tried similar fish, reduced feeding and lighting, increased filtration, tried vibrant and fluconazole. Only thing I did was piss of my corals, algae still there.

Two weeka ago I borrowed a sea hare off another member and it was the best thing I have done. He is slowly devouring all hair algae.
The rest of the tank is clean and Anemone is happy and fish are healthy. I don't want to add something to disrupt that.

I manually removed as much as I could and did a ton of water changes to lower nutrients when I had it bad ib my old 55 gallon... It's not an easy quick fix but that's my suggestion. If you scrub it off whiles its still in the tank you can then suck as much up as possible right after during the water change..
I have Auto Water Change and once a week i powerhead all the rocks and let it all go into the Filter sock. So like you mentioned i've been doing 10 gallon water changes daily and manually removing when i can. It just grows back lol, doesnt spread though which is good.

What sz tank? More snails has always worked for me. (5 or 6 different tanks) like paul said. Big turbo snails.

BRS has a new video on algae. My sump refugium keeps my display algae free. In the past, I made and used a small DIY ATS and that worked great for keeping algae out of the display.

What sz tank? More snails has always worked for me. (5 or 6 different tanks) like paul said. Big turbo snails.
Main Display is 180 with 40ish gallons in sump and also a 50 gallon Lowboy tied in. Refugium is connected to sump in separate 10 gallon tank. The rest of the tank is pristine no algae anywhere. I have 2 Mexican Turbos the size of golfballs. I've even picked them up and put them next to the hair algae and they just walk away lol

20200321_113456.jpg
20200321_113127.jpg
20200321_113456.jpg
20200321_113423.jpg
20200321_113418.jpg
20200321_113412.jpg
20200321_113259.jpg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back