My Kind of a 40 Breeder Build Thread

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
Well after blowing my back out and being sick of not having a bigger than 12 gallon tank, I drilled my 40 breeder on the short side to setup as a peninsula styled tank. I'm using what I had for an overflow, a Synergy reef ghost system. Ordered a pump form Dong, some Marcos rock from BRS and a ton of plumbing. I plan on moving this stuff over to a 120 configured in the same manner by this summer. Hopefully, all will go according to plan. Pics to follow.

Not sure yet. I have another thread about ebay Black Box Led and thoughts on them. Trying to spend minimal money at the moment as I'm out on comp with a back injury.

Here's a couple of pics of the Synergy Reef Overflow:
Because this was originally bought for a 120 and is 20" long, it doesn't really fit to well on the short side of the 40 Breeder. I only realized this after I had already drilled the two 1 1/2" and 3/4" holes.
You can see in the 1st and 3rd picture where I modified the box to accommodate the returns. I may just plug these and have 3/4" pipe come up and over the side for flow.
MVIMG_20181226_150919.jpg
MVIMG_20181226_150919.jpg
MVIMG_20181226_151012.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting set up.
I just set up the synergy on my 75.
Interested to see how you get the returns plumbed :)

Very interesting set up.
I just set up the synergy on my 75.
Interested to see how you get the returns plumbed :)

I drilled through the backside of the overflow, so the bulkheads can sit flush. thinking about trying to run a couple 90's through the sides, if not then maybe straight through the back.
I originally bought this for a 120, but got hurt at work 1 1/2 months ago and with Christmas, the Monies just not there.

UPS/Santa
MVIMG_20190104_145519.jpg
just left and dropped off some goodies. Christmas presents to myself, Muhahahaha.

MVIMG_20190106_172252.jpg

If you don't have a Kreg Jig yet, do yourself a favor and buy one immediately. I'll post up some standard 2 x 4 stand picture later tonight. Batteries need a recharge.

Last edited:
Thanks for the details on the stand I am interested in making one myself. Looking forward to what it looks like when it’s skinned.

I'll probably skin this in the spring with Maple or Oak. I have some ideas for doors and such.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back