My tiny little nano

Jamalb

Non-member
So after stalking an faithfully watching a few build threads I’ve decided to Document n start my very own thread (I know I’m a little late to the party but better late than never).

TANK: waterbox 50.3 AIO thanks to @OSA & Scott the man with the master plan
ROCK: 41lbs Caribsea arch
SAND: 48lbs Caribsea natural reef
ATO: UNS 45u 9.7 gallon (freshwater planted tank)
LIGHT: 3x prime 16hd, aquaticlife 36” hybrid T5, orphek OR3 90
FLOW: 3x Nero5 & return coral box dca4000 set to pulse mode)
NUTRIENT CONTROL: Pax bellum N18 & Tunze 9012
CONTROLLER: Apex EL, Atk, Vdm
U.V. STERILIZER: 25w Aqua u.v
LID: Red Sea diy( Red Sea lid on a waterbox tank I might as well add seahorse door handles at some point)
CABINETS: IKEA insert weird Swedish name here

Now for pictures
95355839-B9B9-4684-BC34-08B675AD7FC7.jpeg

Loaded up the gladiator big big thank you to Scott for the assembled stand
486CEE84-0F71-4CBA-88F6-D228399A69AA.jpeg

My first attempt at a rock scape I liked it but it felt generic it felt like every other tank I’ve seen that used arch rock so I tinkered around a little bit more.
E860558A-0B71-4817-AA39-2D834A8BF7C2.jpeg

An ta da I started to shy away from the generic feel an progressed towards uniqueness as happy as I was I wasn’t content so back to work I went
184DAAF0-AB78-4A7A-AB1C-595F304C35CE.jpeg

so this became my third an final scape I felt like I accomplished my goal of a very minimalist approach without overly skimping on the rock
18133651-4EE7-45D4-857A-32E5B6A6A96E.jpeg

Now at this point I added 32 lbs of sand an boy was I disappointed the tank just looked blah incomplete the sand bed wasn’t shallow but wasn’t deep enough to please the aesthetic goal I had in my mind

Got another 16 lb bag of sand an let the cycle begin added some fresh
4F7BEF0C-B0EE-4B95-943C-D53A55FE9571.jpeg

for the cycle I used fritz turbo start 900 & # 9, aquavitro seed & remediation, microbacter 7 and xlm with microbacter quick cycle and Nero phos as my ammonia and phosphate source for a bullet proof fishless cycle
2D8D7BA1-FBCB-4F20-813F-433E5E9785FC.jpeg

Now for pictures View attachment 146246
Loaded up the gladiator big big thank you to Scott for the assembled stand View attachment 146247
My first attempt at a rock scape I liked it but it felt generic it felt like every other tank I’ve seen that used arch rock so I tinkered around a little bit more.View attachment 146248
An ta da I started to shy away from the generic feel an progressed towards uniqueness as happy as I was I wasn’t content so back to work I went
View attachment 146249
so this became my third an final scape I felt like I accomplished my goal of a very minimalist approach without overly skimping on the rock View attachment 146250
Now at this point I added 32 lbs of sand an boy was I disappointed the tank just looked blah incomplete the sand bed wasn’t shallow but wasn’t deep enough to please the aesthetic goal I had in my mind
The double tree/pillar and the open space looks good.

I recommend you check the rock work height against the corals you plan on having. The current rock scape doesn’t leave much room.

I setup my IM20 similarly with a single larger horizontal rock and while it looked good, there wasn’t any room for corals to grow. Also the PAR was very high being at the points closest to the top of the water.

The double tree/pillar and the open space looks good.

I recommend you check the rock work height against the corals you plan on having. The current rock scape doesn’t leave much room.

I setup my IM20 similarly with a single larger horizontal rock and while it looked good, there wasn’t any room for corals to grow. Also the PAR was very high being at the points closest to the top of the water.

ahh I get your concern the main difference between the waterbox n the im20 is the footprint I have a lot more space than you so my structures are wider so it allows for more thought in the placement of my sticks I’ve been working on my par map I did do readings and I’m happy with the numbers that I get on the top left structure I get readings ranging 440-580 and on the right 390-479

I like the final rockwork.

Do you have a fish plan?
thank you I may or may not add 1 more small island as far as fish goes the majority of my fish will be wrasses I kind of have a image of a hustling bustling reef during the day and as the lights dim and as my moon lights come a reef really void of much activity. I also gave thought to what my equipment can handle (paxbellum & tunze 9012)
Pair Choati leopard wrasse
1 Golden rhomboid fairy wrasse
1 Flame fairy wrasse / Magma fairy wrasse
1 sunburst Anthia
And I think that’s it for fish

Last edited:
It’s been a while since my last update. The tank is pretty much running on autopilot fueled by procrastination the only thing I’ve done is plug my skimmer in and programmed it to run 4hrs 8am-12pm. My plans for stocking the tank has definitely changed my kids ended up picking out two of the smallest tangs I’ve ever seen a 1inch scopas we call scooby and a 1.5” Kole tang that we named “SHHHH” I’ll probably end up searching for a Tiny yellow tang or 2. I still plan on picking up a pair of chaoti leopard wrasses when ever I find them.
C1E896B2-22BD-456B-AF11-1AC234D7C10D.jpeg

Now for pictures View attachment 146246
Loaded up the gladiator big big thank you to Scott for the assembled stand View attachment 146247
My first attempt at a rock scape I liked it but it felt generic it felt like every other tank I’ve seen that used arch rock so I tinkered around a little bit more.View attachment 146248
View attachment 146249
so this became my third an final scape I felt like I accomplished my goal of a very minimalist approach without overly skimping on the rock View attachment 146250
Nice tank

And all the truck guys made fun of my little bed at the last convention I still got a 6 foot 180 With the stand to fit “so yea it’s a real pick up” :cool::cool::D
68AB3D8A-67C0-47CA-BF17-E28E084DD526.jpeg

Helping my buddy with this install made me to start planning my upgrade well not a upgrade but a 2nd tank and moving the waterbox 50.3 into the kitchen infront of the table and in its place a innovative marine 100ext with a uns stand bc well I fell inlove with the uns stand my waterbox would be sitting on one if they made one my dimension
655483E3-87C5-404A-8C50-F402801FA9A5.jpeg
0AD61F51-8F49-46EF-96B7-98A9B0549DA6.jpeg
AF642625-7A3F-441F-9E3C-E6EDFCE36B51.png

Back