Nassarius snails

One Eye

former vp of pr
I have a bunch of tiny nassarius snails in one of my small 20 gallon tanks that is plumbed into the same system as the 180.

Ever heard of nassarius snails spawning in our tanks before?

They are only 1/8 to 1/4 inch right now but there are no predators in that tank so if they made it this far they should be good to go.

Poor pic quality so I circled a few of them.

6DB97334-F65D-4BCF-A857-FE40EF0B352B.jpeg

A while back I had several larger nassarius in my tank then I noticed small ones popping out of the sand at feeding time. Unfortunately, a couple of hermits grew large enough to go after the snails and they got all the smaller ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that is why I have no hermits. But I'm sure most fish take care of rogue baby snails.

You can grow them up a bit then fund your next reef purchase.

I’ve been able to grow cerith snails and recently I’ve had a explosion of nerite snails.

What am I doing wrong? I just have to keep replacing mine when they slowly die off. I normally buy 10-15 new snails or hermits every year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I never get baby snails. Sometimes I see eggs. I assume something eats them. Or maybe they need certain conditions to allign correctly?

That tank must have something going on. Got home tonight and the glass is covered in 1/8” to 1/4” little white round worms. They look and move like inch worms.

I’m guessing that the large colony of tube worms I have in my sump must have spawned. I only have 2 clowns and a yellow watchman gobies in that tank so these little guys are pretty safe in there and able to survive.

The clowns still ate when I fed the tank but the watchman just burped at me so I’m guessing he got his fill of free floating worms.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back