Natural additions

ReeferSutherland

Chas
BRS Member
Hi I was wondering if anyone here puts stuff from cape cod in your tanks? I was thinking like snails hermits from the beach and maybe some clams/mussels in the overflow for filter feeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I was wondering if anyone here puts stuff from cape cod in your tanks? I was thinking like snails hermits from the beach and maybe some clams/mussels in the overflow for filter feeding

I put some steamer clams in my sump once. I was amazed at how long the necks get, maybe 6 inches!!

They lived for a week or so. I'm not sure if they died from the temperature or lack of food. My puffer still ate them just the same.

We used to bury a couple small cape cod hardshell clams (Ok maybe not legal size) in a FOWLR, kept the trigger and puffer nuts. Pretty sure they died before they got eaten

A Great White would be a nice show piece! Lol

In all honesty, I have not from he Cape. When I lived in Long Island, I helped maintain a 700 gallon tank that was all local marine life. Kept the tank in the low 60’s range.

I used snails, and crabs, and macro algae, starfish, and the beach sand itself when i setup my first tank from humarock.
Livestock won't live all that long unless your doing coldwater. Our store bought crabs love eating the snails though.
I've always contributed my success from starting the tank that way. Didn't have any of the usual beginner phases.
However, the concern of introducing pests is very real.

Very good info here thanks for your responses. I think I will try to collect in the summer when temps are warmer

Back