Need advice on 125g

mikestod

BRS Member
I am going to check out a used 125g (not R/R) setup currently being used as a FOWLR w/ a few HOB filters. Supposedly it has a nice wood stand and a good (homemade) canopy w/PC lighting. I plan on using it as a FOWLR for a couple years until I purchase a house and slowly collect equipment for an eventual reef. I know people have drilled the back as a DIY R/R and just used bulkheads w/elbows or even durso type attachments.

Immediate goal would be to upgrade the filtration. However, I have never used any wet/drys, canister filters, etc. I'm thinking short term conversion to R/R so i can tie in a sump/fuge and add a large skimmer for filtration...

This will be purchased as a total package w/fish and live rock and is an established system running for 2-3 years.

So here are my questions:
Whats the feasibilty of converting this tank to R/R?
Are there any disagvantages to drilling the back vs. a conventional in-tank overflow?
What would others to to improve the filtration short term for use as FOWLR?
What would others do (if they were in my shoes) as far as immediate preperation for long term conversion to a reef tank?

I would drill the back and run a wet/dry for the FOWLR then when you get ready to do a reef just pull the Bio balls and use the wet dry for a sump.

Easy

That's exactly the path I followed so I can attest to the fact that the path works.

Need some bioballs?
-Karen

! 1/2 down low with Durso stand pipes. One in each corner.
2 more up high for returns with loc-line nozzles. You could put a SCWD on the returns and get alternating flow. Or do 4 return bulkheads and 2 SCWD.

Why not drill the bottom? keep all the plumbing hidden. You can put overflows in the corner or in the middle of the back, and then have the returns come out in the rockwork.

I figured thats what you meant Marvin

Nate, my concern is that it may have a tempered bottom like most tanks. If not then I might have other ideas. Wouldn't want to risk it though.

Is there anyway to add a wet/dry without drilling the tank?
Right now it will be set up the long way against a wall. But depending on the layout of future housing I would like to drill one end and use it either as a penninsula or a room divider. I don't want to drill it now and limit what I can do later...

Well thanks for all for the advice but I am not able to buy this tank after all. It has to be gone by the end of the month and I'm going on a cruise. I'm posting it for the person in the Equipment forum

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back