Need help on lighting question.. Please

underh2o2long

Non-member
I am about to set up my lighting on my 40gal RR tank. I have a 175watt MH ballast and 2 96watt PC's. What would be the best combo? Here is what I am thinking:
175watt 20K
2-96watt actinic or 2-96watt 50/50

I will be keeping a variety of corals, some fish and a clam. I would appericate any suggestions. Thanks..

I'd go with 10K MH's if you'll be using actinics. The 20's are more blue but the 10's are better for growth and the actinics will make up for the loss of color. I run 2x175w 10K xm's, and 2x96w pc's: one actinic and one 50/50. JMO

The 20ks are quite blue and to our eyes not intense. They do give corals good coloration but not as much growth. I ran 20k XDEs with a 96w 50/50 PCwhich helped slightly with the blueness but I wanted a more intense bright light (at least to my eyes) and recently switched to 10k XDEs with a 96w actinic. This gives a brighter white light, without the actinic the 10ks looked yellow, especially after switching from 20ks. I think ideally if I could fit 3 MHs over my tank I would do what others have done, put 2 10ks on the sides and a 20k in the middle and not run actinics. JMO

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back