Neptune Trident What do you think?

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
I was lucky enough to get an apex free last year. I'm thinking of adding a trident system. There are mixed reviews all over the net. I know that there are plenty of trident users here. I'm looking for first hand knowledge from trusted sources. What do you think. Pros and Cons in your opinion.

Thanks in advance for you input.

I have one, have had it running for several months now. I love it. It makes it very easy to track and make adjustments to your consumption. Just make sure to calibrate it when you change all three reagents.

it is loud when it’s testing, like a high pitched whine. You have to let it test at least 4 times a day. There tends to be some waste in the alk reagents. It will eventually need to be sent back for service, I think at 18 months.

I do not use it to control the DOS.

C8FE5451-04FC-4659-821A-83D8C3B7984F.png

Over a year now and loving it, won't be running our tank without one again. Just pull the sample line and clean it a couple of times a year and it's great

One of the best purchases i have made in this hobby over almost 20 years. Works awesome. I agree with the alk reagent waste but still a great product. I think the mixed reviews are in part because of user error and not following directions.

I have one and love it but with all automation products for our hobby do your due diligence and manual test once a month at least just to make sure the trident is close to what you get. Another con is its a 600.00 test kit and costs 200.00 a year in reagents to run if you but the 6 month supply for 99.99 twice a year.

I love my trident. It tests 365 days a year and yes it costs $200 a year in reagent but that is .13 cents a day based on 4 tests a day which seems like pretty cheap insurance to me. I do not use to controlDOS as I run a CA reactor. Mine has been running strong for 18 months now maybe longer I forget when I actually installed it lol!

I have one, have had it running for several months now. I love it. It makes it very easy to track and make adjustments to your consumption. Just make sure to calibrate it when you change all three reagents.

it is loud when it’s testing, like a high pitched whine. You have to let it test at least 4 times a day. There tends to be some waste in the alk reagents. It will eventually need to be sent back for service, I think at 18 months.

I do not use it to control the DOS.

View attachment 159403
I love my trident. It tests 365 days a year and yes it costs $200 a year in reagent but that is .13 cents a day based on 4 tests a day which seems like pretty cheap insurance to me. I do not use to controlDOS as I run a CA reactor. Mine has been running strong for 18 months now maybe longer I forget when I actually installed it lol!
Are there any reasons the you do not use it to control dos? How do you handle dosing?

My wife has one on her 100 gal and I have one on my 180 gallon.. Both are spot on when I check them with manual test kits. I wouldn't have a tank without one at this point

I did a lot of research before going with the alkatronic. I didn’t see any reason I should pay to test ca and mg 4 times per day. Heard it can be hard to get reagents and to service. I have a gallon of concentrate that will last me forever and I can test as little as once a day with apex integration too. It’s a more expensive device but lower cost of ownership. It is loud but I’ve enjoyed having it so much I don’t mind the sound anymore.

I bought one a couple weeks ago but haven’t set it up yet. I have an AIO tank (no sump) and to avoid my tank siphoning out, I need to install above the water level. Any good ideas here?

I've been running my Trident for approx 6 months. I would completely recommend it, as long as you don't expect it to run and produce results similar to lab grade equipment. It's a hobbyist's tool that greatly simplifies keeping an eye on key parameters of your tank, and such a tool to maintaining a health aquarium. I have found that the values drift a little bit over time, especially the Calcium tests. Recommend spot checking against another test brand to see if it's still reporting in an acceptable range.

It's super simple to use, haven't had to service it yet but do you research on that. The team at Neptune did a pretty good YouTube video explaining the different options, long and short of it. If it needs service, you'll be without it for a little bit.

For the price compared to a Mastertronic, you really can't beat it. However, for testing PO4 and NO3 automatically... maybe, I'm pretty lazy! LOL!

Good luck and happy reefing!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back