New 120g

Sounds like one of those two tanks probably had copper used in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that blue lights are coming on lots of the corals I thought were gone they still have polyps glowing inside them. I guess time will tell

Last edited:
Sounds like one of those two tanks probably had copper used in it.

I thought the same but my two cleaner shrimp are doing fine. They released lots of what I think are baby shrimp into the water column last night or I had an explosion of amphipods and copepods all of a sudden. I saw a few serpent stars out eating the dead trochus snail last night that I never saw before and I also saw a few of what looked like cucumbers coming out of the sand bed and eating sand. I made a thread with a picture to find out what they were. Also my nassarious snails were out in full force non have died from what I can see. But my tube worms still haven't come out and I don't see any asternia stars anymore

Last edited:
got one running in the sump right now with brs carbon on it. i got the poly filter from intank its white and blue

This it, right?
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Value-Pack-Poly-Filter-Floss-3PACK.htm
0c4daa450845ebbb86c5bb6b1e51204f.jpg

could it even be copper? i was just reading on reefcentral that copper does not get stuck to silicone or glass. i cleaned both these two tanks with white vinegar. i didnt add any rock or sand all sand and rock was in the system before hand. cant it of just been a change of temp and maybe cal, alk, and mag? i didnt test any of those before hand. only temp and salinity. temp i knew was going to be off after i had to kill the return pumps while i redid plumbing and let it set after glueing all piping together. also i have had temp swings before and never lost anything so i know temp alone wont do this. maybe i got a bad reading for my salinity? if salinity was off by say old water was 1.022 or something and new water 1.027 and temp off by 4 degrees. i am 99% sure my salinity reading was fine. i tested water up stairs and two days later i had the water down stairs all mixed and i recalibrated the milwakee refractometer and tested and got it to 1.027 so when i mixed the water together it would equal out to 1.026. dt water was at 1.025 so i think. i didnt recalibrate the refractometer before hand since it has never been off. but it was at 1.025 from acclimating snails and such. very typical and i normally just mix the new water for a water change at 1.027 so it goes up to 1.026 after water change. been doing this for years never an issue.

Last edited:
Alk issues stn sps from the base up. A poly filter is cheap and you could rule out copper.

So I got some filter floss from love the reef and added it to the sump when I got home from school. I think every coral is done for. Only a couple left. I did find the anemone I thought died so I still have both of them. Really surprised neither of them rbta died considering how sensitive they are. Either way here is to figuring this out and scraping together some money I don't have to getting some of these corals back. Wishful thinking. Summer is over and with summer gone so is the overtime.

Last edited:
So I got two corals I think that will make it. Gatorade birds nest and a pink milli that I just got a week ago. I will leave all the dead coral in till I see these two that are still alive starting to encrust again. By that time I should see any of these skeletons starting to grow if there was or is anything left

Nothing yet. Only been three days. I guess it takes a few days till it will show any blue

Last edited:
Based on the Apex pH graphs, my money would be your pH is consistently low and low Alk. However, the photos of your SPS show rtn from the tips which is indicative of high Alk. IMO, if copper and other toxins are ruled out I would look at your Alk levels and overall stability of Alk. Are you dosing 2 part? Calcium reactor? Kalkwasser?

Last edited:
The alk swing was from adding 120g of new saltwater. I was keeping alk at 7-7.5. The fresh mix salt I used a new 5g bucket of reef crystals and it was at like 8dkh after it mixed with my old water. But yes I was doing about 20-25ml of Brs two part a day. Those pictures were from after the sump and stuff was added. Maybe it was the alk swing. I never match up alk. It I was always doing 30g water changes when I only have maybe 100-120g of overall tank water.

So I took the poly filters out and they just had tons of detritus in them. They didn't change any colors. So I may rinse them and save them for a later use. Must of been the alk or ph swing is going to be my final guess

Back