New 120g

No I haven't but I know most of my sps were growing great under my lights. This all happend in a couple hours and very fast everything died after adding the sump and frag tank in my basement. I will say I am 100% sure this wasn't lighting related. Dong if you know something I might be missing please let me know. I would love to know for sure what this was so I don't repeat it. I'm sure I won't because I won't do large volumes of water changes again without recalibrating my refractometer and match calc, alk, and mag. I am 100% positive this will not happen again. Some other stupid mistake may but not this with the water.

My pocket was hurt very bad with this goof and I am sure I will be making a stop by your place in the next few months when I can save a few bucks to buy some more of the corals I loved that I got from you months ago.

Last edited:
What type of return pump are you using? Used or new? Do you let the PVC glue dry before tuning on the pump?
I just read your thread and found out what happened with your coral. I thought your thread was just another build thread.
From your photo, it looked like chemical poisoning.

What type of return pump are you using? Used or new? Do you let the PVC glue dry before tuning on the pump?
I just read your thread and found out what happened with your coral. I thought your thread was just another build thread.
From your photo, it looked like chemical poisoning.
It was started a while back and I for forgot to updated it. So I figured I would update it with the add on of the sump and frag tank. The return pump is a vectra l1 new. And yes I let the glue set for 30 mins. The instructions for the blue guerrilla pvc cement say it's cured in 15 mins. Time was a factor since I had to hook the new flex pvc lines from the basement up to the existing lines coming off the bulkhead.

Did you rinse the PVC pipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to say, the PVC pipes could be contaminated with chemicals.

After reading the thread, I agree with Dongs initial assessment -- it's probably chemical. The PVC glue you used -- can you post a quick pic of it? I saw a couple of glues at Homedepot that said something to the effect of 15 minute harden time, and 12 hours or 24 hours cure time ... don't remember it exactly.

You aren't supposed to use the pipes before 24 hours if using for potable or aquarium purposes .. or so I was advised.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

After reading the thread, I agree with Dongs initial assessment -- it's probably chemical. The PVC glue you used -- can you post a quick pic of it? I saw a couple of glues at Homedepot that said something to the effect of 15 minute harden time, and 12 hours or 24 hours cure time ... don't remember it exactly.

You aren't supposed to use the pipes before 24 hours if using for potable or aquarium purposes .. or so I was advised.

I'll check when I get home. I hope that's what it is so atleast I can know what it was

Archit and Dong I think you guys nailed it about the pvc glue. Says 15 min cure time before hydro testing and full strength in 24-72 hours more time is your friend

e9b2b8a2e452e2ab4ca2ad50ac9c21d9.jpg

5ed9a1adc4d349f9196b3a22b4afba9a.jpg

Archit and Dong I think you guys nailed it about the pvc glue. Says 15 min cure time before hydro testing and full strength in 24-72 hours more time is your friend

e9b2b8a2e452e2ab4ca2ad50ac9c21d9.jpg

5ed9a1adc4d349f9196b3a22b4afba9a.jpg

yeah, more than likely that was the cause then .. sorry man.

if you haven't already plugged it in, I'd recommend running carbon double time to remove any and all left over remnants as well.

yeah, more than likely that was the cause then .. sorry man.

if you haven't already plugged it in, I'd recommend running carbon double time to remove any and all left over remnants as well.

O I plugged it in hence why everything is dead. And yes I ran poly filters and two bags of Brs rox carbon. I always run carbon anyways

Last edited:
Here's some of the coral I have taken out so far. I'm still going. Looks like I still have about 5 alive but only one that will make it for sure I think

4f29c62b9ded1ae31e3e5857be59a06c.jpg

059faa79ebe4c319646cdedf5354fe2e.jpg

Some of those corals look like they still have some pigment left. I would have given them a couple of weeks before I took them out.

Some of those corals look like they still have some pigment left. I would have given them a couple of weeks before I took them out.

Yea that's the pink poci and birds nest that grows like a weed. Both grew out of control in the tanks. Didn't want them anymore anyways, but in that tank they are totally white. For some reason under my phones camera they had color but they deff didn't have any polyps or color in tank. They have holes where polyps used to be and there skin peeled off days ago. I the algae came off when I shook them to get the sand off the frag plug

21ebf4ac5ea7a135f0edf82a24f9837c.jpg

That's what I got left. The reeftech starburst cap is losing color from the edges and working its way into the middle.

The spec sheet for that glue says that it can be used for potable water which leads me to think that the glue wasn't the problem -

Gorilla Blue Hot is formulated for use on piping systems for potable water, DWV (drain, waste, vent), electrical conduit, ENT, irrigation, well casing and sewer / drain applications. Gorilla Blue Hot is manufactured to the high standard of ASTM D 2564 to ensure a quality product. A sample is kept from each batch to verify the quality of Arrow cements. Follow the directions on can label. Additional information is available upon request. Skill and knowledge on the part of the user is required to make a good quality joint.
http://www.gorillapvc.com/product/gorilla-blue-hot/

I am not convinced that the glue is what caused the problem. As a guessing man, I would lean towards the possibility of a chemical on the pipes themselves that wasn't rinsed off, or perhaps something got on them when they were at the shop. The amount of glue that would make it into the system would seem so minute, plus I don't know what chemical it is that would cause the problem - particularly for corals. We use super glue all the time and that stuff has to be somewhat toxic with similar compounds.

I wish there was a list of products that have been know to kill corals fast.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back