New 135 high tech build in Arlington

Is this an actual retail place open to the public, or mainly a research laboratory?

I am from Cape Cod, and I have done work at Woods Hole Oceanographic and another place called the New Alchemy Institute in Falmouth, mainly in aquaculture. I also worked at a fish store for about 9 years when I was a teenager.
Is this an actual retail place open to the public, or mainly a research laboratory?
It's his small basement setup with a few thousand gallons of coral tanks lol

Now see, this is probably my major bone of contention is, and I am not just trying to give you a hard time over sematics. I think you need to be careful to stay away from absolute statements like that. Maybe the only way to "fully" remove them? But I even hesitate with that too, because I can think of a few cases where they are pretty ineffective... such as trying to remove high levels of nitrate because there is too much trapped matter decaying in an aquarium.

I would say that water changes are possibly the most effective means we have currently, but certainly not the only way.

Pre-filter socks, ozone, macro algae, displacement, you could probably name a few more.

Unfortunately water change is the only way so far. You can't do a 100% removal unless you do 100% waster change.
Filter socks won't remove dissolved pollutants in water, it trap solid waste.

Ozone oxidize organic compounds not removing them.

Algae can only take up so much and mostly nutrients like nitrate, phosphate, it is not an effective method to remove organic pollutants such as toxins.

Protein skimmer is actually quite selective in terms of organic molecules it removed, largely based on bubble size etc.

Water dialysis is an effective method. But it is not very popular based on its high cost. Also what it actually does is continuous water change. Now we back to water change again.

If there are too much trap solid matter inside the aquarium and producing nitrates, removing those matter will be the key, then followed by water change.

Carbon dosing can effectively reduce nitrate and phosphate. But it does not remove organic pollutants. It makes bacteria boom and actually make waster change more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's his small basement setup with a few thousand gallons of coral tanks lol

Hey, be nice. That is totally cool. Not only that, it's 10 minutes up the road for me, I am also on rt 2.

Ned Bowers (Uncle Ned's Fish Factory in Millis, well worth the trip) was selling fish out of his basement for years before, from what I hear, his friends made him open a store. He stopped carrying marine awhile back (last time I checked) but there is no better place for African Cichlids, and he probably knows more about it than many ichthyologists (who came up with that name, study of fish, sounds like they are studying ich.... maybe that is all they had in the early days - anyway).

When I was a teenager it was basically wonderland.

Unfortunately water change is the only way so far. You can't do a 100% removal unless you do 100% waster change.
Filter socks won't remove dissolved pollutants in water, it trap solid waste.

Ozone oxidize organic compounds not removing them.

Algae can only take up so much and mostly nutrients like nitrate, phosphate, it is not an effective method to remove organic pollutants such as toxins.

Protein skimmer is actually quite selective in terms of organic molecules it removed, largely based on bubble size etc.

Water dialysis is an effective method. But it is not very popular based on its high cost. Also what it actually does is continuous water change. Now we back to water change again.

If there are too much trap solid matter inside the aquarium and producing nitrates, removing those matter will be the key, then followed by water change.

Carbon dosing can effectively reduce nitrate and phosphate. But it does not remove organic pollutants. It makes bacteria boom and actually make waster change more important

Right, I wasn't necessarily talking about using any one of these by themselves. If you change filter socks often enough, it will give you moderately effective removal.

Oxidizing organic compounds with ozone sounds simple enough on paper, but practically speaking you are permanently destroying some things like proteins. What is left can be effectively inert and can more easily be removed by the protein skimmer. I agree not the same as total physical removal. But is is actually similar in ways to pouring bleach into your tank (which has actually been done too).

When you harvest algae or change carbon, you are sequestering it out of your aquarium.

You get the idea.

Yes I am living with my thousands of beautiful babies.
Here are some of them.

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?threads/photo-around-the-coral-lab.158503/

Wow, that is amazing. Is that one image photo-shopped or do you really have something like a 50-foot-long frag tank? Must be a pretty big basement.

I hope you don't run afoul of the town for running a business out of your house. And the electric company and water department probably think you are growing weed, hehe.

So, one question I have. Based on what I have been reading, I am scared to death of introducing bad things into my tank unless everything I put in there is quarantined for 6 months or something. I read it can be done a bit faster with coral by a cleaning procedure. I am working with Dream Marine in New Hampshire, and he is actually going to cure or quarantine some things for me so that I don't need my own setup for that right away. OK. Well, in a setup like yours, is it possible to buy things from you and have it count as already quarantined? Or is this only possible when people trade from known clean aquariums or something?

Hoping there is a quicker / easier way....

It is a legit business and well known. I host school trips, Girl Scouts too. My big Dory hippo tang is always the favorite of young reefers in the making.
That is an 8 feet frag tank, not 50. I wish. Lol

I farm corals, as well as I can get super nice pieces from my suppliers. I just don't do fish unless it is something special order like a Gem tang.

Dream Marine can QT your fish and coral for 6 month ? That is impressive.

If you are looking for live rocks that are years old, I have plenty.

For fish, I will say the best bet is order them online that drop shipped straight from suppliers. Or order them from LFS but pick them up before they hit their systems.

I farm corals, as well as I can get super nice pieces from my suppliers. I just don't do fish unless it is something special order like a Gem tang.

OK, so if I were to drop by to check it out, do I need to make an appointment with you or something? I would love to show this to the wife and kids.

For fish, I will say the best bet is order them online that drop shipped straight from suppliers. Or order them from LFS but pick them up before they hit their systems.

And in that case you would not need to quarantine?

Used to to that even when I worked at a pet store (thousands of years ago)... we would call the people ordering expensive salt water fish directly and have them come pick them up when they came in. But I don't know what happened from there, if they put them directly into their tank or quarantined them.

I know one guy who would collect thousands of gallons of real sea water in his garage, and cure and filter it with this elaborate setup with a whole bunch of trash barrels. He lived a short distance from the ocean. I guess you could do it if you had a way to transport that much water, and then maybe sanitized it and filter out any pollutants. Close to the shore like that I would think you risk getting some pollution.

Dream Marine can QT your fish and coral for 6 month ? That is impressive.

That is a bit of an exaggeration, I suppose he would if you wanted to pay for it.

I actually don't know how long you should quarantine fish, you might know better than me.

If you are looking for live rocks that are years old, I have plenty.

Do you have 135lbs? And the same amount of live sand? What do you sell it for? I can ask if that is easier than bringing it down from NH in his truck.

Hey, be nice. That is totally cool. Not only that, it's 10 minutes up the road for me, I am also on rt 2.

Ned Bowers (Uncle Ned's Fish Factory in Millis, well worth the trip) was selling fish out of his basement for years before, from what I hear, his friends made him open a store. He stopped carrying marine awhile back (last time I checked) but there is no better place for African Cichlids, and he probably knows more about it than many ichthyologists (who came up with that name, study of fish, sounds like they are studying ich.... maybe that is all they had in the early days - anyway).

When I was a teenager it was basically wonderland.
Was being sarcastic on the small part.
He has more variety of corals than any lfs I've ever been to and his prices are very good :)
You should definitely pop in and check it out, you won't be disappointed :eek:

OK, so if I were to drop by to check it out, do I need to make an appointment with you or something? I would love to show this to the wife and kids.

Yes, appointment is needed. I am home most of the time. Please txt 978-505-8232 for appointment. Wife and kids are always welcome. They can feed the big Dory too.

Do you have 135lbs? And the same amount of live sand? What do you sell it for? I can ask if that is easier than bringing it down from NH in his truck.

I have about 300 lbs available. I don't have live sand. As love sand means dirty sand. I suggest start with dry sand. Also I suggest people should toss the sand bed when they moves.

Yes, appointment is needed. I am home most of the time. Please txt 978-505-8232 for appointment. Wife and kids are always welcome. They can feed the big Dory too.

Sent you a message here, did not want to send a text now in case this is too late at night.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back