New 180 Gallon SC Aquariums Build

Troselaw

Non-member
Excited for new first time build with my 15-year-old. We are giving our angels and tangs, currently in a 75 gallon aquarium, a bit more space. The aquarium is being delivered tomorrow.

Big shout out to Boston Reefers member BVS12 who is building our cabinet and sent build pictures today... Looks outstanding!
file (2).jpeg
file1 (2).jpeg

I love the finish on that cabinet! Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So jealous! I almost went for an SCA 150 this season but we're going to have to wait for next year.

Looks great! Good luck with the build.

So jealous! I almost went for an SCA 150 this season but we're going to have to wait for next year.

Looks great! Good luck with the build.

Thanks! This is a first for us plumbing... so trying to figure out what to order.

Last edited:
Thanks! This is a first for us plumbing... so trying to figure out what to order.

Looks great!
I’d only order the true union valves, and get everything else at Home Depot. They even have flex pvc.

Looks great!
I’d only order the true union valves, and get everything else at Home Depot. They even have flex pvc.

Planning to set-up Herbie and a manifold on the return. So, yah, I'll need to order a gate valve for main drain and some cpex ball valves for return. I'll check out Home Depot for pipe, unions, and other fittings.

Bryan (bvs12) just dropped off... soft close doors, rubber mat inside, etc. Excellent build! Hoping our build will do the cabinet justice...
69B9B066-BF6B-4491-9FE0-20104D9898B8.jpeg
174FEDF7-A444-438F-9A39-58DF662625FF.jpeg

I just went through all this. I found supplyhouse.com to be a good source for plumbing parts. The prices were better than most other places I looked, and they have true union ball valves for way cheaper than the cpex ones. I see that many people use them from posted tank plumbing photos.

Thank you, it's hard to tell by pictures alone but I was thinking to myself, "please don't be a single 1'' drain" lol. Stick with pvc and someone already mentioned something similar to this, but utilize true union ball valves where ever you can, example before and after your pump (if external). If you use flex pvc, do not use primer on it, only the rigid side of the joint along with heavy duty glue and press the joints together for at least 30 seconds (I do a minute on larger diameter flex pvc). Your stand looks nice, enjoy the build and good luck!

Thank you, it's hard to tell by pictures alone but I was thinking to myself, "please don't be a single 1'' drain" lol. Stick with pvc and someone already mentioned something similar to this, but utilize true union ball valves where ever you can, example before and after your pump (if external). If you use flex pvc, do not use primer on it, only the rigid side of the joint along with heavy duty glue and press the joints together for at least 30 seconds (I do a minute on larger diameter flex pvc). Your stand looks nice, enjoy the build and good luck!
Thanks Arthur1! I am sure that i’ll be inquiring further with you shortly...

I just went through all this. I found supplyhouse.com to be a good source for plumbing parts. The prices were better than most other places I looked, and they have true union ball valves for way cheaper than the cpex ones. I see that many people use them from posted tank plumbing photos.
Is there a difference in quality between Cepex and other true union ball valves at supply house.com?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back