New Build Advice: 20 gal peninsula tank

mhallstr4

Non-member
Hi everyone. I've been out of the hobby for a couple of years after a tank went south while I was on vacation. It's time to get back in.

I'm thinking of getting this 20 gal (18.5 gal display) peninsula tank to place on a counter dividing the kitchen and dining room. At the tank's mature stage, I'd like it to feature 2 small clowns, an anemone (bubble tip?), a small goby and pistol shrimp combo, a pencil urchin, and 10-15 snails and hermit crabs. Besides the anemone, I'm not planning on any other corals. I'm inexperienced with corals, but would be interested if you have a couple beginner softies. Upkeep: planning on a 4.5 gal water change every 2 weeks.

I've had 2 other saltwater builds and still consider myself a beginning reefer. I had a 40 gal breeder and a Red Sea nano with a couple of failed attempts at some softies. For this tank, I'm really hoping to learn more about building a tank right from the ground-up. I'm going for a nano tank - because it fits within my space and budget at the moment. The clown fish / host anemone mix is something my 5-yr old son and I have eyed for a while, and thought we'd give it a go.

Enough talk - here's the main parts of the new build. Any advice is welcome! For the whole, system, I'm looking to spend less than $1K (I already have a light).
If you've read this far, thank you. What would you do differently? What am I missing? Where should I spend more or spend less to build a high-quality system? What live stock recommendation do you have? Will this tank be ok for an anemone? Which variety?

Can anyone refer me to a successful nano tank with anemone / clown fish / soft corals? Simple and relatively easy is best - since I'm not that experienced yet! I'd rather emulate someone else's path to success than make my own from scratch!

I'm hoping to use this tank to build my confidence in my hobby, have a good showpiece in high-trafficked space in the house, and have a good father-son science project with my 5 year old. If this tank goes well, I look forward to bigger and better builds. I hope the advice I can find here will get us off to a solid start!

Happy reefing everyone!

- Mike

Sadly I cannot input on the protein skimmer or light because have no experience but they seem good

For corals any soft would do good but I think toadstool and zoanthids would do great and look awesome even some lps like euphyllia such as hammer or torches later down the line and acans would look nice

The light seems to be good as long as it works and you've used it before it should be fine just have patients and get corals and fish slowly. an anenome should do well but I would definitely go with a bubble tip (make sure you wait a while to get one)

Stocking seems great and awesome
This is just a personal preference but I would mabye dip live rocks because they can carry some things sometimes
I hope this tank helps you get back into the hobby! If you ever have any questions everyone here would love to help.

Last edited:
The DC 9004 is worth the extra money. What are you planning on controlling the pump with? Also, why are going to use a wavemakers with that much power for such a small tank?

I have a 20 gallon waterbox cube and I was also trying to stay around the same budget that your tank is going to be. On my tank im using an eshopps nano skimmer and it is working great, I have also heard the Tunze DC does good. For the light I am using the AI prime and dont have experience with the light your talking about, but It should be fine. Also what wave maker are you going to use, I cant wait to see how your tank goes. Have Fun.

I'd say go with the DC 9004 skimmer. DC pumps are usually quieter and the controlability is nice to have as well.

As far as the CoralBox LED light that would be more than enough for an anemone on that size tank. I'm currently running one on my 25 gallon cube (20"x18"x16") and I'm growing SPS and RBTA's with very good success.

Filter socks are nice if you stay on top of swapping them out but for the tank set up you're looking to do you should easily be able to ditch them for something like a sponge filter (still have to clean but not as often IMO), and a bag of carbon. You could also get the Fiji Box media basket for what looks like $30 more.

The DC 9004 is worth the extra money. What are you planning on controlling the pump with? Also, why are going to use a wavemakers with that much power for such a small tank?
Thanks for recommending the DC with control. I'm not sure what you mean by planning to control the pump. Isn't the DC model come with a knob for control?

I don't have a good reason to go with a wavemaker other than, I think I can tune down the flow and it's a 24 inch long tank. I'm not exactly sure how much flow I'll need and wanted some extra power if needed. Is this one overkill?

I'd say go with the DC 9004 skimmer. DC pumps are usually quieter and the controlability is nice to have as well.

As far as the CoralBox LED light that would be more than enough for an anemone on that size tank. I'm currently running one on my 25 gallon cube (20"x18"x16") and I'm growing SPS and RBTA's with very good success.

Filter socks are nice if you stay on top of swapping them out but for the tank set up you're looking to do you should easily be able to ditch them for something like a sponge filter (still have to clean but not as often IMO), and a bag of carbon. You could also get the Fiji Box media basket for what looks like $30 more.

It's good to know that the CoralBox is working well for you. I didn't have it on my last tank long enough to see results before my tank went south. I'm eager to try it out!

I didn't notice the media basket before, I'll definitely go with that option.

I don't have a good reason to go with a wavemaker other than, I think I can tune down the flow and it's a 24 inch long tank. I'm not exactly sure how much flow I'll need and wanted some extra power if needed. Is this one overkill?
[/QUOTE]
The pump/wavemaker that you listed is pump only, ie. without controller. Just make sure you get it with a controller to have adjustability.

It's good to know that the CoralBox is working well for you. I didn't have it on my last tank long enough to see results before my tank went south. I'm eager to try it out!

I didn't notice the media basket before, I'll definitely go with that option.

I used a PAR meter a few months ago and was getting around 90-130ish on the sandbed at the outer edges of the tank and 200+ on the rockwork and it's only at 60-70% mainly blue LEDs...

The pump/wavemaker that you listed is pump only, ie. without controller. Just make sure you get it with a controller to have adjustability.
[/QUOTE]
Ah - yes, will do. thanks

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back